1930 Chrysler CJ - What oil should I use???

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

Hi,

Am a new member and have had my fully restored (to stock) CJ coupe for only a few months. What type and weight of motor oil should I be using? Non-detergent? Looks like it has modern 30 weight in it right now. Also, had a terrible grinding in my transmission when changing gears while the trans was still cold. When warm, it was fine. Changed the oil to 85 weight and it is much better but still some grinding at first with this colder weather. Would I be doing harm to use an even lighter weight gear oil in the transmission. A seemingly knowledgeable parts man said I should be using 600 weight, but how could that help?!! Thanks, Jim

We have two 1930 Model 70s, not a CJ. The engine in the instruction book calls for S.A.E. 30 or 40 weight, the transmission and rear axle calls for 50 or a light S.A.E. viscosity No. 60. The rear axle calls for fluid gear lubricant. Do you have a manual for your car or a lubrication chart? There have been several on Ebay in the past. Good luck with your car and enjoy the hobby & the people.

Tim

Guest jimstulga

Thanks, Tim, for the information! I have a copy of the original car instruction book, but no oil weights are given. I can see my transmission oil is still to heavy; hence the problem I'm still having. THANKS AGAIN, Jim