Bringing a car back to life

adoldfield

I am about to try to start an '87 LeSabre that's been in storage for a couple of years. What are the tips to bring the engine back to life? I remember reading about squirting some oil into the cylinders... Can you post any suggestions for doing this right?

Thanks

Alan Oldfield

BCA #151540

Guest imported_NikeAjax

When I've done it, we used about a tablespoon full for each cylinder of what ever kinda oil we had handy, like 10/30. I've found it really helps to crank the motor, you know pulling the wire from the coil so it doesn't start? Once you've done this, let the oil seep into the cracks for about five or so minutes., then try and start it up!

Just as important, how old is the gas in the tank!?!?!?!?!?!? If it's old, even a few months, get it all out! This can cause you more grief than you may realize, it wouldn't hurt to put some kind of water remover in there, moisture collects and gets into everything. Water and gas make this weird chalky substance after it's sat for some time--you swear if you had enough of it, you could write on the sidewalk.

Check your plugs too, before and after you oil you cylinders; just make sure they're clean so they fire right.

Be patient and be safe, it's only a car!

Jaybird