Shift lever bushings

Guest unclefogey

Guest unclefogey

28903Shift_lever_bushings-med.jpg

There is a story behind how I came into possession of this parts kit, actually seven of them, but that is another story. The kit contains two(2) fiber washers 7/8" o.d. x 3/8" i.d. x 1/16" thick, one (1) spring steel washer 11/16" o.d. x 3/8" i.d. and one (1) plastic bushing 5/8" o.d. x3/8" i.d. x 1/4" thick.

Now that I have this kit, just where might the parts which this kit is designed to replace, reside in the steering column of my '41? Somewhere near where the shift lever attaches to the rod that goes down the mast (steering column) cover? Or somewhere within the mast cover requiring the removal of the mast cover from the mast? If the latter, I have done this removal once when I had to rebuild the steering box, and once is enough. Might this be one of those, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and thanks to Centurion for posting and keeping current the "How to post an image" on the Me and My Buick page. The next challenge for me will be to post an image as an attachment.

John