1937 studebaker 6 engine color?

termn8r

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

I got my engine paint from the same place and agree that it looks too dark. I talked to Studebaker Parts and they said I could return the paint for a refund. After looking at lots of pictures of different '37s which are using this darker color, I decided to go ahead and use the paint. I have enclosed a picture of my engine with this darker color comparing it to the fan which still has the original, lighter green. I have not installed my drivetrain yet, so I can still repaint if the correct color is found.

post-32751-143137914056_thumb.jpg

You have to keep in mind that after 70 years use the original paint is going to be very faded.

I have used the same reproduction paint on my 1930 engines and have noted some variation from one can to another but attributed that to not mixing it thoroughly enough and in a quart container the mixing is more sensitive than in gallons.

The formula was determined by spectrographicly measuring the color of paint on a NOS factory block that had been in a crate since new never subjected to heat or sunlight so it was an accurate example. The factory never defined the paint formula chemistry.

The original color was requested by management to be the color of spilled oil, a dark Olive shade at that time. See the attached photo of a 1930 President engine, I think it is a pretty accurate shade of Olive green.

Stude8

post-31139-143137914061_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just happened to read this thread today.

More and more people seem to be painting these engines "too green".

Here in St. Louis we paint those blocks the same color as the Olive Drab that

was used as the body color on Southwestern BellTelephone Compnay trucks up into

perhaps the early 1970's?

Last time I bought any was about 15 years ago, in DuPont enamel (probably

Centari). I am at work and don't have access to the can right now, but I'd

think any old DuPont shop located in the old SWBT territory ought to still be

able to dig up that recipe.