Changing Distributors

Guest JTW37

Guest JTW37

I have a question that I could use some help with, please.

I have a 1953 or 4 Plymouth flat 6 engine that I want to use the external parts from to get my 53 Dodge flat six engine up and running. I have a truck to put it in. The Dodge engine was completely rebuilt, but by the time I got to the engine, the building it was in a demolished and all external parts ( distributor, oil pump, manifolds/carb, water pump, coil & mount were missing. So I had a chance to pick up this Plymouth flat six and want to use all the parts mentioned.

I also have a 49 DeSoto and noticed that the distributor's were different in that the points were laid in a different direction. Is the Dodge and the Plymouth the same or different? Will it work with the Dodge engine?

Thanks, JTW

Guest imported_woodwheels

JTW; All '49-'56, USA built, Dodge and Plymouth, 6 cyl distributors will fit interchange, 1953 Canadian built will not. The differences are in the advance curves start and stop points. A '53 Dodge dist has the #ITA4011 on the ID tag. The '53 Plymouth has identical specs but has the #ITA4101 on the ID tag. The '54 is #ITA4001 with a higher rpm start point and a lower rpm stop point. DeSoto will interchange with Chrysler not Dodge or Plymouth. By the late '50's the ITA4101 was a replacement at CDDP dealers for all of the early models, '49-'53. Jim

Guest JTW37

Okay Jim and Thanks. I will check the numbers, that you supplied me with. I was kind of aware that DeSoto and Plymouth won't cross, from building my Dodge truck several years ago. Boy what a nightmare that was. Till I figured it out. I'm hoping to get the Dodge engine going, from the Plymouth engine parts. The Dodge has been rebuilt, so it is a better choice and it is a Dodge for a Dodge.

Thanks Again.

JTW

Guest imported_woodwheels

JTW; I also should have stated that the advance in degrees is different from one distributor to another. Jim