62 Electra Power Brakes Problem

jerryacheson

A year ago I had good brakes on my 62 Electra. I had never pulled the drums so I was a little nervous about just how good they were. I was busy at work so I dropped the car off at a local shop and told them to put new shoes, hardware, master cylinder and flush the system. $1100 later, I no longer have power brakes. Sure I could take it back but how risky is that?

What's wrong? I have to stand on the pedal to stop the car. It seems like the booster isn't doing anything. I did the vacuum test from the shop manual and it tells me that the vacuum is working. (I had the engine off; pumped the pedal a few times; pushed the pedal down; and started the car. The pedal relaxed under my foot. The manual tells me that's what it's suppose to do.)

I ran a vacuum test at the end of the steel tube where the rubber hose attaches to go to the booster. I've got 28" of vacuum and it seems to be steady no matter what I do with the gas pedal. I've bled the wheel cylinders and they were fine. No air. The rubber vacuum hoses didn't seem tight so I replaced both; the one to the booster and the one to the reserve tank. No change.

So; what's next? Where do you think the problem is? What shall I do with it?

Thanks.

Sounds like its the booster. But I don't know why it would quit so soon after a full brake job. Is there a check valve or something?