Tools

Chuck Richardson

• 1 month later...

Well guys i have found out that there was a tractor company called maxwell a while back and these wrenches were made for the tractor...........its amazing that there are litteraly hundreds of the number 4 wrenched on ebay..they must still be stamping them out in tiawan.......yes i bought a few also...

• 2 months later...
Guest pknighton

I have many Maxwell parts books, 1905-25, having bought a Maxwell agency in Caney, Kansas that closed its doors rather than go Chrysler...literally closed the doors. It was like entering King Tut's tomb. Anyway, the parts books consistently list the Maxwell wrenches by the Williams numbers and illustrations shown look like the drop forged slant script wrenches up to 1921. After 1921, they list the wrenches as NO. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No.4. I find no No. 5 listed although some claim there is a No. 5 wrench. I've never seen one. I have bought partial tool sets in the tool pouch for the 1921-25 Maxwell cars with these wrenches and the unique Maxwell hubcap-spindle nut combination wrench intact. I think that confirms the fact that Maxwell used the often seen Maxwell stamped out and numbered wrenches. I also have two styles of Maxwell script pliers. One is slant script and the other block letters like the numbered 1 to 4 wrenches. Both pliers are nickle plated.

• 3 months later...
Guest pknighton

Sadly no shop manuals at all. Only parts books. The individual opened his agency in 1914 and closed it in 1925 I believe, because he did not want to go to Chrysler. After Chrysler took it over, to retain a dealership, one had to buy a fixed amount of parts each year, and very small dealers sued Chrysler over this issue in Kansas and won.