Vin # help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just bought a 1952 Chevy 1 ton truck that's what's on the Bill of sale, but cant find any info on the vin # or any info on it. The tag says

Model 1434

Ser # 9143401060

Body 110

Paint 931

Trim 394

Can anyone help with any info on this veh

Thanks for your time

Bill </div></div>

Bill,

Prior to a multi-state agreement that took effect on 1-1-56, virtually all, if not all, states titled and registered motor vehicles by their engine number, which when the vehicle was built, matched the serial number on the chassis. The downfall of this pattern was that chassis numbers are almost, if not virtually, impossible to read easily, early ones were on the top flange of the frame rails, and right below where the old "teaspoon fenders" bolted onto the frame, and later, they tended to be underneath the body (cab in your situation). Further complicating this is whether or not the original engine has been swapped out, rather than rebuilt when needed.

Check both your state's motor vehicle code to verify what I've just said, and then check your title or bill of sale and see if the number typed in matches the engine number. If your state MVC calls for 55-earlier vehicles to be titled under the engine number, take the time to photocopy that page of the code, then take your truck to your license branch and get it done.

Art

• 10 months later...

Model 1434 ..instantly recognisable as a GM of Canada truck!

1 = CHEVROLET

4 = SERIES (1-ton)

34 = BODY STYLE = PICK-UP DELIVERY 137" WHEELBASE (216 ENGINE)

Ser # 9143401060 1949 MODEL 1434 SEQUENTIAL # 1059

Body 110 = 109TH PICK-UP BODY BUILT

Paint 931 = CANADIAN PAINT CODE

Trim 394 = CANADIAN TRIM CODE FOR CAB

Missing from that is the Engine Number..X then something like 262000. "X" was a 1-ton and above 216, "C" 1/2 ton to 3/4-ton. My database shows that # 931 and 932 were standard colours and 394 a standard trim!

My database, which has taken many years to compile, is available as a MEGA file to download:

http://www.btinternet.com/~gmhistorian/canadianchevdatabase.doc

I can usually help with queries about Canadian Chevrolet/Pontiac/Olds/Buick/Cadillac/Oakland serials and engine numbers to 1939 and thence to 1957. I am always after more data on Canadian Chevrolets and Pontiacs to 1957.