1928 Studebaker windshield???

Guest stude8

When you say "Windshield" I assume you refer to the piece of glass that is above the instrument panel that is cranked out for ventilation for the driver and font passenger. In 1929-30 Presidents the sheet of glass is framed with formed sheet metal that is fabricated as a "U" shaped frame that is composed of the top horizontal member with the left and right side members welded to it. It has moveable left and right hinge pins at the top corners that retract inward (toward center of car)to remove the frame from the body. You have to remove the interior trim to access the set screws that hold the hinge pins in place. The crank box with its worm gear engages a fixed "Rack" gear attached to the top frame rail to move the framed glass in and out to desired location. The bottom rail of the frame is usually arched upward in the center to match the curvature of the body cowl it swings out over. The glass is removed by unscrewing the left and right bottom corner clasps and then the lower frame rail and glass can be slid down out of the side frame rails.

The glass is of course set in glass setting tape or rubber extrusion to prevent rattling in the metal frame work and to avoid water leakage. There is a rubber weather seal profile that glues to the body opening so that when the windshield is cranked closed a water seal is achieved to keep out wind, water and weather. I have detailed photos but they are too large to attach in this forum.

1928 models may vary from early to late versions and Commander and Dictator versions may not be exactly like I describe. I have seen 1927 versions that raise and lower slightly rather than crank out but the glass framing methods are similar.

Stude8

Guest stude8

Send me an email to "johns@lowrey.com" and I can reply to it with the photo files. They are about 250K size if I recall, if your ISP has size limits I could do them one at a time. Stude8