1925 Stude ER throwout bearing

I am rebuilding a 1925 ER. The clutch throwout bearing appears to be in great shape. It has an oiling cup attached to the side. My question is "do you re-pack the bearing with bearing grease or oil? Secondly, what type of oil do you fill the oiling cup with so it doesn't all run out onto the bearing and saturate the clutch disk with oil?"

Thanks for your help.

Guest stude8

I hate to say anything on the net but I did have a 1925 ER six years ago and like other Studebakers up into early 30's I "think" it had the usual Grease Cup fitting. The kind that you unthread from the delivery tube, fill cap with chassis grease and thread it back on forcing the grease into the tube that feeds the bearing which in the case of the throw out location is unreachable from outside the bellhousing.

I can't imagine using oil to lube a throw out bearing with the danger of oiling your clutch disc as a side effect. If what you have really is an oil cup perhaps someone substituted it over the years only to keep dirt out of the open tube it is on.

If the throw out bearing is still serviceable I would remove it and flush it with solvent to get all the dirt and dried lube out of it then use a power or hand grease gun to force plenty of new fresh grease into it before reinstalling in the car. Stude8