Engine identity

Guest hconstbl

Guest hconstbl

Was wondering if anyone can help me identify an engine I have. I checked the Antique Studebaker Club page, but it does not show any engines with this number.

Engine number - W15889 - Stamped on the right hand side above the water jacket cover.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Guest hconstbl

The engine is a 6 flat head and probably a pre 1930 engine. I currently have it installed in a 1930 Erskine while I refresh the Erskine's original engine.

Guest stude8

The prefix "W" is a tough one, Studebaker built a 1927 Commander Model EW with a 354 CID engine, those numbers began with "EW" and went up to 40,700.

They built trucks in the mid 1930's with Hercules 383 CID engines that had serial numbers that began with "WXC3". I would think neither of these engine series would fit in an Erskine. Are you sure it is a Studebaker engine?? Post the starter motor tag model number and maybe I can find it that way. Stude8

Guest hconstbl

Stude8

Thanks for your help. I will not be able to see the car again until Thursday. It is possible there is more to the engine number. I will have another look at the number to be sure I have it right. We were told the engine was out of a Dictator, but it doesn't match any numbers in the parts book (29-40) that I have.

I do know that it is using the same generator, and the same distributor (639J). Externally the engine looks almost exactly the same. The only visible differences are in the fan mounting and the intake/exhaust manifold. The starter is mechanical foot activated. I will see if I can get the model number.