Timing Light

Husky Jim

confused.gif

I recently found that the flash tube on my old timing light is broken, and unless someone can tell me where I can get another flash tube for a Penske Induction Timing Light #244.2115 that Sears no longer supplies, I need a new one. Now this may be a dumb question, but all I see are ones for 12 volt systems, and I now need one that will work on either 6 or 12 volts. I don't know if a 12 volt will work on both or not. Maybe using a ballast resistor, or just hooking up the leads to a 12 volt battery and the plug wire to the 6 volt engine would work, but I need some advise here. If it is not possible, or impractical to do any of the above, who can supply a good quality induction timing light at a reasonable cost and where could I acquire one?

Thanks,

Husky Jim

uhldwm@ak.net

Guest imported_JPIndusi

If you are handy with electronics and have a low wattage soldering gun, you can replace the flash tube with something similar in size from possibly Radio Shack or other electronic parts source. There is not a lot of variation in these flash tubes and a replacement should work for a long while under occasional use.

You can power a 12 volt timing light for use on a 6 volt car as follows:

1. Attach the black or negative lead of the timing light to the car battery negative terminal.

2. Run a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the car battery to the negative terminal of a 6 volt lantern battery. (This is the small square battery with the brass spring terminals used in lanterns).

3. Attach the red lead or positive wire from the timing light to the positive terminal of the lantern battery.

4. Connect the trigger lead or pickup from the timing light to spark plug wire as described in the timing light directions.

The car battery and the lantern battery in series give you the 12 volts to run the timing light. I have done this many times and it works well.

Joe BCA 33493

Guest sixpack2639

Joe, That is a very good piece of information. I would never have thought of it. Thanks, Carl

Thanks to all for the great information, I really appreciate it. Guess the best way to do this is to either use a remote 12 volt battery, or as one person suggested, just hook it up to a 12 volt battery charger.

Thanks again, you folks are top drawer,

Husky Jim

Guest imported_JPIndusi

You will be better off using a 12 volt battery, follow my procedure above, or use two 6 volt lantern batteries. Some battery chargers actually deliver much more than 13-14 volts when they are not loaded properly as in charging a battery and the higher voltage may damage the timing light.

Joe, BCA 33493

smile.gifAgain, thanks for all the help and advise. I was able to purchase a new Xenon Strobe Tube for $4.09 from Radio Shack #272-1145 right off the shelf that fits and works well to repair my old light. The same type of bulb is available through Actron for $2.59, but they only ship Fed Ex, which would have run me an additional $27.00+, being in Alaska. mad.gif Not a very good deal with the shipping, obviously. You might want to jot that Radio Shack tube number down for future reference. cool.gif

On re-bay I found a new in box Actron CP7504 Inductive Timing Light for a total of less than $12.00, including shipping. The Kal Equip, SunPro, Snap-On, Sears, Penske and Mac lights sold for much more, but the $50.00 Actron, most people don't know that Actron is the parent company of SunPro as well as Kal Equipment, so there were only two bidders. Something to keep in mind. smirk.gif