Brake Light Problem

kilkm

I've discovered my brake lights aren't working on my '62 Electra after getting it out of storage this year. Fuse is OK, and the turn signals work. From the electrical diagrams it appears the turn signal and brake light are the same bulb so I'm figuring it must be the switch. I thought the switch would be somewhere near the top of the brake pedal under the dash but I don't see one. On a parts sight I see they sell a "hydro-electric stop switch". Is this the switch that probably needs replaced and is it located somewhere under the master cylinder? Anyone know or ever had to replace one of these?? Any other ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks;

kilkm

Guest 53and61

kilkm,

I'm nearly certain that the '62 is the same as the '61 in this regard. If so, then you're correct that the brake light switch is a pressure switch mounted on the rear of the master cylinder (or at least near it). These are so common that chain parts stores around here carry them. But before replacing it, make sure that the associated connectors are clean and secure. If you do replace it, you'll allow a tiny amount of air into the hydraulic system, but in my experience this will cause no trouble. I'd have the new switch on hand to make the change immediately rather than taking the old one off and leaving the system open for any length of time.