64 Skylark Conv Top Boot

Guest karlde

Done anyone know how the top boot is secured to the body of a 64 Skylark Convertible. I am thinking of getting one and was looking today. There are no snaps on the chrome. It may slide under the chrome somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Karl

Karl,

The boot has ( had ) metal clips that were coated with some type of plastic paint that snapped around the stainless trip. I don't recall anyone selling the boot with the clips on it--usually they are sold separately. Then you rivet them into the hard plastic strip on the outside edge of the boot.

Some of the repop clips are bare metal--do a great job of scratching everything. I thought someone had coated clips available but can't remember who. They are special used only a couple of years and then GM went to the thinner plastic pieces that slip under the stainless moulding like on a 68/69. There are also a couple of dot snaps on straps that hang down to snap onto the back seat back inside the top well to assist the velcro on the back of the back seat to hold the boot on.

Guest Skyking

John, thanks for the heads-up on this web sight!! Early this year I ordered a boot for my 62 Invicta from Hydro-E-Lectric and they sent me the wrong color frown.gif. I wanted blue and it came Turquoise. I tried to return it but they said no returns on Boots confused.gif. So like a nice guy I ordered another with the stimulation it had to "BE BLUE". Then the hurricane came and the rest is history....still no blue boot. I'll give Classic a try....thanks again!

P.S. Does anyone want to buy a Turquoise Boot???

Guest John Chapman

Uh... lemme get this right...

You order a blue boot... Hydro sent you a turquoise one... and won't take it back because, "We don't do returns on boots..."

If you paid with a credit card, you can legitimately dispute the charge because what they sent you was not the suitable product or the product as ordered. The back of your credit card statement will have instructions on how to do this.

Hydro has the choice of replacing the boot or refunding the money... I hope you paid with a card...

Cheers, and good luck!

JMC

Guest Skyking

John, I did pay with a card........their reason was the lots change from roll to roll and they don't have any control of the color. They have an outside source make these. Believe me I went back & forth with these people. They said it was blue, but when I put it against my Buick it was greenish.

I plan to list it on ebay when I get another one. I'm sure I'll get my money back......The odd part of this is when I called H/E, I talked to the same girl I gave the order to and she never remembers me......Duh......So much for Hydro-E-Lectric!

I played this same game with another vendor a few years ago. Ordered everything from their sample sheet. Came in as a multitoned interior--light dark of same color--none of the parts were from the same vendor/same material. And of course all these guys won't sell yard goods to match so you can't say buy the material and have everything custom done.

The only way around it, especially if trying to match an existing interior is try to get them to send you a sample swatch then match to that. Still doesn't help the dye lot issue but it can get close.

In my case, once the vendor to the vendor managed to read the order form correctly everything came out pretty good.