Kingpin replacement HELP!

Heather Keay

Hello folks, I need to know how to replace the kingpins in my 1951 Cadillac.

I got them out ok and tried to replace the new kit only to destroy the bushings

for one side. I then took the other set for the other side and pressed them in with a vice. I see they need to be pressed in. Now, what I need to know is how do I get the pins in? I can?t find any info on it and don?t yet have my shop manual on the car. If someone can give me the basics I can figure it out I think. I guess what I am asking is, do I need to have them pressed in or can it be done at home without a press. If so, how?

the bushing need to be pressed in and reamed at a machine shop. You can take the arms off the car, slide the king pin out, take it to a machine shop.

Then reinstall, drive to get alignment.

• 1 month later...
Guest imported_DustyOne

There are king pin reamers that are used to get the correct inside diameter after the bushings are installed. the way that they work is you ream one side to fit the king pin snuggly, and then you insert the other bushing. Using the reamers, you put the end of the reamer into the lower bushing that has already been fitted and with an adapter, ream out the upper till it is properly sized. This way, they are both in alignment for the kingpin to fit properly. I hope that I described the procedure well enough that you can follow it. Check with some old time wrench turners to find one that has a set. It is an easy job with the correct tool. My reamer set has 8 reamers to fit any application.