fan clearance

caf

I have a 29 model A. The fan clearance at the upper radiator hose connection is too close. In reverse you can hear it hit the hose clamp or upper radiator connection. Why is this?? is the radiator too low and needs to be shimmed up?? Any ideas?? Thanks

Guest Dave Wyatt

Sounds like the engine is too high or the radiator is too low. Based on my limited experience with the father-in-law's 31, I'd take a look at the front motor mount. Or more exactly the cross member area under the mount. His was cracked and someone had added some metal to that area for reinforcement. If that was over done, the engine will be raised up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 29 model A. The fan clearance at the upper radiator hose connection is too close. In reverse you can hear it hit the hose clamp or upper radiator connection. Why is this?? is the radiator too low and needs to be shimmed up?? Any ideas?? Thanks </div></div>

While an anomaly with the front crossmember (where the front motor mount is secured) could be the problem, more than likely, if you have an original-type sheet-metal "airplane propellor-style" Model A Fan, and it's wanting to hit the upper radiator hose, more than likely you have a 30-31 Fan installed. 28-29 Fan diameter is shorter than for 30-31, due to the lower radiator height of a 28-28 VS the 30-31. I had the same problem back in the early 60's, with a 29 Tudor I bought while in college.

Art

• 4 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 29 model A. The fan clearance at the upper radiator hose connection is too close. In reverse you can hear it hit the hose clamp or upper radiator connection. Why is this?? is the radiator too low and needs to be shimmed up?? Any ideas?? Thanks </div></div>

If this is an original Ford "airfoil" 2-blade fan (or one of the cast aluminum replacements) chances are very, very likely you have a 30-31 Fan on this car, rather than a 28-29. Why is this? Simple, the 20-31 Model A has a taller radiator, so there was more room for a larger fan, so it got one. Do some checking around, you should be able to find a correct fan.

Art