Parts Wanted:

Packard8

Looking for an NOS or equivalent timing sprocket set for a 1954 359 straight eight (I believe all the 288, 327 and 359 motors use the same part).

New chains are readily available, but I?ve tried all the usual vendors and no one seems to have the sprockets (Kanter still lists them but ?we haven?t had any in a long time?).

Any leads or suggestions appreciated?..

Thanks

When I recently rebuilt my 40 120 engine I searched for months for the cam sprocket after finding a nos crank sprocket (cloyes) and chain (republic). I finally had to settle for a used cam sprocket from Max Merritt that was in very good condition.

I did talk with Ramsey chain http://www.ramseychain.com/ who happened to be a supplier for Packard at one time and still had specs on chains, etc. which I found interesting. I actually took my old sprocket to them, since they're close by, and got a price on making one. I thought it was a reasonable cost for a one time deal but then I found the one at MM and when with it.

Seems like Gary Brinton or John Ulrich might have had some good condition ones.

Hi JT,

Thanks for the reply. I have two used sets that are probably ?usable?, but showing some wear on the crank sprockets. I was ready to order the ?new & improved? hardened steel sprocket & chain set that Kanter advertises but then learned that they have been out of stock for some time (you?d think they would update their ad in the Cormorant Bulletin).

I?ll keep beating the bushes and see what turns up.

Thanks,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was ready to order the ?new & improved? hardened steel sprocket & chain set that Kanter advertises but then learned that they have been out of stock for some time (you?d think they would update their ad in the Cormorant Bulletin). </div></div>

That's what I thought a year or so ago when I called Kanter. I'm not sure but it seems like they said there was a problem with their off shore supplier.

I saw one on ebay about six months ago so they do pop up from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, do you happen to have the genaric replacement part numbers for the sprockets? It would be an S- XXX number for each one. </div></div>

Hi JT,

Thanks for the note. Other than the alignment "0" mark, there are no numbers on the crank sprocket. The cam sprocket has the Packard part number only.

Both of the cam sprockets I have look pretty decent to me (as you would expect, the smaller crank sprocket takes most of the wear). I have a total of 3 crank sprockets and will have the machinist select the one he deems the best. Hopefully with a new chain, when I check the deflection it will be within specs.

Altho this motor won't see a lot of miles, they will be hard miles (1/4 mile at a time) and the cam grind and valve springs are a lot more aggressive than stock....hence I'd like to find either NOS or repro sprockets.

Cheers,

John