Orphans at Pahrump, NV show

WCraigH

There were about 65 cars at todays's car show here in Pahrump, NV. In addition to the <span style="font-style: italic">Usual Suspects</span> kind of vehicles one would expect, there were some interesting ORPHAN cars that I hadn't seen before. I'll post JPGs following.

Because I arrived relatively late (#60 out of 65), I was parked next to some Harley Bikers. We're talking decent lookin' biker chicks with low cut tank tops with <span style="font-weight: bold">Harley Emblem</span> tatoo'd across their back kind of folks. But, they were very civil and friendly. Anyway, one of the more interesting extended conversations I had today was with one of the biker guys. He initiated the conversation and professed his deep admiration for Packards, particularly the last few model years. He was very knowledgeable about mid-50s cars, but had never seen a Torsion-Level Packard close-up before. Of course, I couldn't resist demonstrating same! Hey, these bikers were OK, IMHO.

Fortunately (for me it turned out) my feet were killing me, so I left at about 2:15PM right after my Patrician was judged. My timing was impeccable, since about 1/2 later, there was (1) a power outage affecting the whole valley, (2) a sand storm wherein one couldn't see 20ft and (3) a thunderstorm with all the spectaculars. I was home by then and only had to endure 1-hr of no electricity. My 55 Pat had been parked safely in the garage.

Of course, my 1955 Packard Patrician was the only Packard extant.

Other pics follow.

Here's a 1939 Nash Lafayette. Except for maybe the Graham (follows), it was the best looking late-1930s car there. I particularly liked the front fender line. The overall body style was quite attractive. However, this car needs a lot of TLC, because there is some serious rust-cancer in quite a few places. However, it did have the original driveline and was [color:"red"] DRIVEN to the show, albeit on a DMV 10-day temp permit.

1939Lafayette.jpg

One of the last Packard's near contemporaries is the <span style="font-weight: bold">Desoto</span>. There was a nice example at today's show. It was a 1957 or 1958 (not sure since it left before I could check the reg card). Anyway, gotta love those big-ass tail fins!

1958Desoto.jpg