Brake drums 51-54

Guest BigDokk

Guest imported_BigDokk

As I painfully compile parts for my 52 brake rebuild the thought came to me: "over the years, has anyone found late model drums which will replace their 51-54 units?" It seems to me that I've heard people say that a 62-68 Chevy truck drum (as an example) will be a bolt-on for their car. Anyone found such a replacement? Also, my front shoes are 1 3/4in wide, suppliers I've talked to usually quote 2 or 2 1/4in widths, any thoughts? With a 12" drum, how much over can you go before needing to replace the drum? My car is a 52 "200" club sedan dlx model, 2565 series (w/easamatic). Thanks.

Guest Albert

Not all the 51-54 drums are the same, the clippers in 54 where 11" drums and the packards where 12's the 52's again are different again, as I picked up the remains of a 52 i though i could use the drums off of. It may be possable to find a set of drums off another car and just use the hubs off the original, I work in a garage and have been keeping my eyes out for such a swap, but we do not do too many trucks, as i dont think the drums off the honda's and toyota's are going to do the job. Maybe look at the 90's Ford f150's, if you can use the backing plate and drum, the wheel cylinders are the same#'s as some of the 51-55 Packards. I have also wondered about using the fords front spindles (with king pins) for doing a disk brake conversion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip) I have also wondered about using the fords front spindles (with king pins) for doing a disk brake conversion. </div></div>

Yes, it will work, but it is not a bolt-in:

FordTruckDiscBrakeOnPackardFrontView.jpg

Paul in Las Vegas accomplished this on his 1956 Exec resto.

Guest imported_BigDokk

I finally received my shop manual from the Packard club. Many of my original questions were answered in it. Nothing like going to the source. Thanks for the responses.

Guest Randy Berger

Congratulations on buying the shop manual - you won't regret it. Not only that, when you do have a question and someone refers to the manual the explanation is greatly simplified and more easily understood. The parts manual is just as invaluable as it shows how certain components fit and is a great reference when buying NOS parts.

YFAM, Randy Berger