Ouch -- new car computer codes

WCraigH

REGARDING - The above article on "On Board Computer Diagnostics":

We have a 2001 Toyota RAV 4. As a side-note, we've been buying Toyota products since they first came into the country, and, without fail, have found them absolutely determined to stand by their products - NEVER had a charge for work that was warranty related. Yeah..I am NOT happy about being forced to buy foreign...BUT...absolutely disgusted with the sloppy junk Detroit has been selling. Reminds me of the old song "Snowball To Hell" where the guy sings about the days when a "Ford Or Chevie Lasts Ten Years Like They Should".

Anyway, being a curious sort, I did buy an OBD II "reader". (for those of you who dont get the modern lingo, since around 1996, ALL cars coming into the United States must have a little generic computer female "plug", so that ANYONE with "OBD II" computer reader can figure out what's wrong with the car -"OBD" stands for ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS...and the Roman numeral "II" stands for the kind that came into use about that time.)

So, when the "engine check" light came on, on a Friday night, I was quickly able to determine it was safe to drive the car thru the weekend, and get it taken care of at my convenience (smog sensor went bad)

So - what does this news article mean mean ? I thought OBD II was now "standard" ? Does this news article mean if I have a newer car, I have to go buy a newer version of the OBD system ? Or does it mean you just cant BUY a "reader" for the newer cars".

A good OB II "reader" costs well over a hundred bucks! This aint funny!

Incidentally, if you are thinking of buying an OBD II "reader" ONLY buy the kind like mine, that not only gives you the OBD "code numbers"...it also provides a "plain language" read-out of the malfunction...that's the "trick"..to have a "plain language" read out so you know what the numbers mean.