stearing lock

Guest stude8

I'm not familiar with 1926 in particular but if it is similar to 1930 there is a "Taper drift Pin" driven up from underside of the casting that holds the cylinder that is located tangent to the cylinder OD and fits into a groove in the outside diameter of cylinder. If you sand the underside if casting you will find the end of the pin. Carefully drill it out starting with a small pilot bit then increase the drill size a few steps until the pin remains can be pulled out. Now the cylinder can be withdrawn from the casting. When it is out you can drill the hole in casting to a useable size to tap it something like 8-32 or 10-32 and in future use a set screw to retain the lock cylinder. Stude8

• 2 years later...

I just saw your post about removing the steering lock from a '30. I have a 1929-30 Commander GJ 6 Roadster and was tryuing to figure out how the heck you can remove the lock cylinder for repair and have a key made. Your info is just what I needed - Thanks a lot!!

Gene Densmore - Tallahassee FL

Guest stude8

Gene: Please post a photo of your Commander roadster, the icon in your signature box is too small to appreciate. It looks like a sharp car! Years ago there was a 29 President roadster in Indiana that had the same Green body with orange wheels like yours has. I haven't seen it for some time at car shows. It was from the Crown Point area I believe. Stude8