Sag?

Reatta Fan

I'm seriously looking at another '90 convertible to purchase. She's got 110K on her and looks pretty good all around except there's excessive rubbing of paint from the bottom corner of both doors on the plastic door sill plates at the very front of each. The right is more excessive and has worn the paint completely off the door so bare metal is exposed. The left one is down to the primer.

The original owner says it's never been in an accident. Carfax comes up clean. Visual inspection determines nothing. The car looks not to have ever been repainted and the telltale signs of orange peel, unevenness, pinstripe inconsistencies, and color mismatch are absent. The gaps around both doors when closed are evenly spaced and equal in the front, rear, and bottom. Both doors open freely and do not bind or stick.

I've been told convertibles eventually sag in the middle due to no roof support. Might this be the case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'll send the VIN to Barney via mail note.

Of the eight '90 convertibles I've owned, none has had sagging doors. Cowl shake in a couple of 'em, but no sag. That just doesn't seem to be problem with the Reattas.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

P.S. Check your private messages; sent you one today regarding a '90 for sale.