ratio

Guest nailswede

Guest nailswede

Correct me if im wrong here please!<BR>ratio on my century is 2.84 and the overdrive<BR>ratio is 0.70:1..<P>2.84 * 0.70 = 1.98:1 in total ratio!?<BR>i'm just used to older cars so this sounds like a high final ratio to me shocked.gif" border="0

Isn't it great? A 1996 Roadmaster Wagon with the standard axle is turning less than 1900 RPM at 80 MPH. This is why today's rides get fuel economy equivalents to 60s VWs. It also contributes to why cars are no longer shredder fodder after 100,000 miles.

Guest nailswede

John Chapman: CAFE world?? shocked.gif" border="0 <P>I wish there where an overdrive on my other cars to frown.gif" border="0<P>Idle Swede: tack så mycket! ja den är inte så<BR>himla dum.bra investering också<BR> cool.gif" border="0 <P>Anders<p>[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Anders Larsson ]

Guest John Chapman

CAFE....<BR>C.A.F.E for Corporate Average Fuel Economy...<BR>That's the US Federally established target for each manufacturer. As it's an average, you have to sell a lot of econoboxes to make up for the uneconomical cars. The current US passenger car CAFE requirement is 27.5 mpg. <P>As with any government regulation, it is full of twists, turns and loopholes. Passenger cars, light trucks/SUVs, import cars, domestic content, foreign content... they all have different requirements.<P>Bet you're glad you asked, eh?<P>By the way, the manufacturer is fined for not meeting CAFE requirements. This year, it's $5 per 0.1 MPG below target per car in the fleet. So, if a manufacturer produces a fleet of 3,000,000 cars that are over the limit by 0.3 MPG, it'd be a US$45 Million fine.

My 83 Caprice STW had 2.73 gears and an .70 overdrive, and barely turned 1500 rpm at 90 mph. I liked that. Now that the gas price has climbed up to $1 per LITER in Finland, I'm changing the 4.1 gears or my 46 Roadie to 3.42 from a 1955 Buick.<BR>Yes, it does sound ridiculous when you guys are whining about your gas price in the US grin.gif" border="0

Guest nailswede

Thanks JC now i understand shocked.gif" border="0 <P>Jyrki: 1500 revs in 90 mph???or do you realy mean 90 km/h? thats what i have moore or less!<BR>caprice has 15 inch wheels and i have 14 could it bee so big difference with nearly same final ratio?<BR> rolleyes.gif" border="0

Anders, you got me! It was a typo - I didn't mean 90 but 60 mph, roughly 100 km/h. <BR>I also have a Cobra replica, based on a 79 Malibu, with 2.73 gears. On the quartermile, I shift to 3rd gear in the trap at 104 mph. Needless to say, it launches like a cow from a swamp grin.gif" border="0