1934 Packard Super Eight Block ID

34pack

Posted (edited)

Am I correct the cylinder blocks for 1934, 1935, and 1936 Packard Super eights are identical and will interchange. Is there a casting number that can be used to ID these blocks? Any other identifying features? 

Thanks

Edited by 34pack (see edit history)

I am confused about your post.  What year Packard Super Eight do you personally have - meaning...'34,  '35,  '36?    (for those not a "devotee" of Packard history, the "REAL" Super Eight was discontinued at the end of 1936 production.   What Packard sold for '37  as a "Super Eight" was the MUCH smaller and less powerful "Standard" Eight of previous years, (slightly warmed over....!).

And when you say "cylinder "block" do you mean just that, or are you using those terms in the generic sense, meaning the entire engine casting (for those not familiar with Packard  "Senior Division" eight cylinder cars,  the crankcase lower half was an aluminum casting - essentially a carry over of this by-then obsolete motor from 1926 - the Twelves and most other manufacturers had gone to "one piece" engine castings.

1934 was the last year for the "poured babbit" connecting rod bearing.  1935 Packard connecting rods of ALL Packards were equipped with "insert" style precision steel-backed bearing inserts - a vastly superior concept.   Connecting rod failure was pretty much eliminated by that.  (rod failure had become so common when these pre 1935 Packards were driven "at speed",  that I have rarely seen one whose crankcase casting did not show signs of a patch where a rod had punched thru!

Justs for fun, am going to TRY and "attach" a photo of my own '34 Super Eight (taken at a CCCA event in 1956).    (Wasn't fast enough for me; explains why I dumped it and got my Twelve later that year...!)

packard 34.jpg

PACKARD Vent blvd '67.jpg

• Like 1