Dodge 1928 Tourer

Hello,

my name is Nik and I´m a student in Germany. I´m very interested in old

cars and want to buy an open tourer in the next time. I´ve got an offer

about a Dodge Open Tourer - Standard 6 from 1928 ( condition approx. 2-3 on a

scale from 1(very good) to 6 (very bad)). The seller wants 15.500? and I

don´t know if it´s a good price for such a car. (See photo!)

It would be very kind, if you could give me some help.

Thank you very much.

Nik

It depends.Does the Dodge need any work doing to it before you can licence it ?You will need to inspect (jack up the front axle so the wheels are off the ground)the king pins and tire rod ends; as the car may have been run on club plates before it was imported from Australia , they will probable need changing .

• 2 weeks later...

A Standard Six touring car in America would be quite rare and desireable. I am not sure they even sold one here. The Victory Six, also made by Dodge in 1928, sold some touring cars in USA and today they are quire rare here. Depending on the condition of your car, it could be worth from about $15,000 to as much as $30,000 (the latter value for a #1 show quality car). You do need to evaluate all systems for condition and subtract from the price you pay any cost of needed parts and labor. In comparing your prices with US prices, you also need to determine if your car has a Budd body or a body fitted in another country. While this may not effect value in your country, and certainly does not decrease value in, say, Australia or New Zealand where bodies were installed there as a matter of course, it may decrease value in other locations if not a Budd body. You probably need someone in your country to assist you specifically on value if the price you quoted is very high in your currency.

One other consideration ,cars from Australia and the UK are right hand drive whilst from the USA and europe left hand drive. In the UK LHD cars tend to sell for about 20% less than RHD cars.

Thanks for your information.

The car is reimported from New Zealand and it`s rhd. I´ve seen the car, it was restaured about 20 years ago. Motor runs good. Interieur is good, seems to be new,the seats are imitation leather.

Budd Bodies are only produced for USA? Did they send only chassis to other countries?

I was thinking of buying this Dodge, earlier in the year, from N.S.W Australia. I have six photographs of it, Engine no J67-449 ,Chassic 7009. I understand that cars exported to NZ came complete with bodys, those to Australia where mostly in chassis form.