1928 Dodge Brothers Victory Six Paint Color?

Brian,

I have a 1928 Victory Six Sedan that is painted Viceroy Maroon. I will email you a picture but it won't be until Saturday and Sunday because I will be out of town. As to the color number, I don't know if it is available. Perhaps if John B. reads this he will know. My car was re-painted about 30 years ago and I believe is very close to the correct color. The original color is still in the engine compartment and the interior, in excellent condition. If there is no source for the number, it possibly could be computer matched by an automotive paint supplier. I don't know what this costs or how accurate those matches are.

• 3 weeks later...

Cleveland Varnish Co provided the OEM paint. It's long gone, absorbed into Sherwin Williams (I think) who did not save the formulas. DoPont and Ditzler lost all their 1928 era color data in fires, and all that remains of the now-gone aftermarket suppliers are old, faded, useless chips with formulas you can't use today (mix one dollop of "acme mint green" into five semi-drops of acme "everfast yellow," etc.)

This is good news at least since no one can prove you wrong when you pick a color. One good thing about the 20s paints is that the same color name seems to be used across various makes and models of cars. Hence Admiral Blue for Studebaker is same for Dodge, etc. I'm not sure how far into the future you can carry this, but it seems to work within a "few" years.

The computer scans are very accurate and used by body shops to get just the right formula to match any job. Problem is, the scan matches faded and worn paint with a faded, worn formula, which is fine for body work on used cars. So it's garbage in/garbage out. You get a formula for the sample youprovide so you need to be sure it is a factory fresh sample, in a hidden area if possible, but even this does not acount for paint deterioration from pollution and heat and so forth. Keep in mind too most surviving paint chips from 1928, unless somehow stored on acid free paper in a vacuum, will also be faded and deteriorated. (It makes me cringe when people spend big bucks buying antique paint chips in hopes of matching them.)

What to do about Viceroy Maroon? Short of getting lucky in finding a formula somewhere, pick a pretty maroon that has the 20s flavor and be happy with it. No metallics, etc. Your sedan was a stately car not flashy. The combination was maroon and black. Fenders, frame, chassis are black as is the body above the beltline including all the bead molding. Since I believe you have an earlier sedan, the window reveals and panels below the windows are also maroon. If a later car and a 3rd color is given, the reveals and panels are the third color. Pinstripe in the panels to follow the coutours and above/below the belt molding from radiator to rear. (No pinstripes if 3rd color, I think) The top stripe of these two goes over the cowl. Pinstripe the edge of each hood louver and put a 'Vee" on each wheel spoke. Panels top and bottom of radiator shell are black, as are the hubcap and bumper clamp insets. Pinstipr width is "fine," not horsey. 1/8 inch or so. Easy does it.

Correction to above. no pinstripes within the panels below the windows if these panels are a 3rd color. But you always pinstripe along the bead molding. Above the molding from the radiator over the hood and back to the radiator. Below the bead molding the stripe goes along eth side of the car all the way around back to the radiator