My 1937 Dodge is VERY difficult to start!

Wow! This forum is great! <BR>Here's my problem, All of the sudden in the last month or so, my Dodge has required a lot of coaxing to get it to start. I have to prime the carb, crank it , wait, crank it again, etc. sometimes it will start, sometimes I just give up for the day. the wierd thing is, if I can get the car started it will run, idle, accelerate, and drive perfectally, however if I turn the engine off I have the same problem getting it started again! <BR>I've checked the timing, spark plugs, battery, and everything seems okay (but obviously its not or I wouldn't have this problem!).<P>Any ideas what could be the problem?<P>Thanks

next time you want to start it see if there is gas in the bowl first. does it try to start initialy or do you turn it over alot befre it tries?

Try another ignition coil. Just hang it on the engine on a piece of scrap strapping. Make sure you put the + terminal to the points i.e. the distributor if the car is positive ground. Reverse for negative ground. You should also change the 'condenser' on/in the distributor as it could be leaky and that will give you a weak spark and hard starting. If you know where you can get a modern capacitor it would be better if you exchanged the old time 'condenser' for a modern capacitor. You can use a value around .02 ufd./600 volts. Take care Robert rolleyes.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...
Guest leadfoot

Guess I passed over this thread back in June. I'd look at the spark intensity when you have it running. Pull a wire and make sure it jumps white hot to ground. Weak spark usually means a condensor problem.<P>You should also check the battery and starter grounds to make sure you are getting full cranking power.<P>Another possibility is a vacuum leak from the manifold or elsewhere. Use a tester and look at the hoses and gaskets.<P>And also check fuel pump pressure. I assume that you have an mechanical pump. <P>And if you still can't find the problem, sell the damn Dodge and get a Ford! Just kiddin'.

I have the same problem with my 36 Dodge. I tend to go with the empty fuel bowl theory. My question is: If the carb is not leaking what else would cause the fuel bowl to be empty and how would you resolve the problem?

• 2 weeks later...