The good old days - were they so good?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Well, it don't get much flatter than it is here. I have often said that the steepest hill around here is an interstate on-ramp. That's the gospel truth, too.

I suppose we are among the lucky ones. There is PLENTY of wetland here. At least, I guess it qualifies as wetland. Saltwater Marsh. Some people think it's pretty and pay big bucks to live on the edge of it. As far as appearance is concerned, I can appreciate it, but I don't care to live near it. It's full of insects and stinks like... Well you can imagine what it stinks like, especially when the tide is out. Maybe it's Peter's whales.

Dave, thanks for the tip, so much for no drive-ins in the area. The ones in the 10 mile radius are food drive-ins and a couple of them have old car get togethers once a month or so. Back in high school I spent many a night hanging out at some of those places in my A model hot rod. Of course I learned my lesson relatively early and gave up on rods and such smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

to misquote a song from years ? ago these are the good old days.. every ones able to eat..hold a job..(if they so desire).. go any where.they want..The good old days is a frame of mind..and depending on your age could have been 10 years ago. Old cars have it made..sit in heated garages or covered..get taken out weather permitting..etc..My Dad told me stories of having to drain the oil and water out of his car..(years ago..of course)...re=fil in AM to go to town or maybe a job..repeated again that night. doesn't sound like the good old days to me..but thats my opinion..cars built today..go 200 300 thou with routine mnt..better gas.. better oil.. nationwide parts sources..old and new.,wish I was 30 again and knew what I know now..63 and holding on as long as I can to "These good old Days"..oldwagonman

those old mom and pop places are still out there..just get in your 49 Plymouth and take a two day jaunt..places less traveled...a book at BAM tells you where to go..how about a 750 mile trip to Florida from Lockport I'll.. 90% on back road..some unpaved..still lots of that stuff "off the beated path" in a '39 Buick that required repairs in every state..till we got there..dipped old "Bertha's" tires in the Gulf at Venice and then drove home a differnt way..ONLY gone 7 days..with a future wife ( no longer) that's my idea of a overnight tour..FLY to OK city and Buy a unseen 41 Century drive it 88o miles home in January '70 with no heater (delete) and be back to work next day in Chicago..stayed in Rolla Mo in a $8.00 cabin with tv .50 extra (B & W) those were some of my Good old days..like they say in the south. "Gentlemen start your engines its time to ride" ...oldwagonman ..in SC

best I can recollect it was a model T He used to tell us this story when we were driving back and forth from Chicago to Cadillac Michigan in 51 0r 52 in his 37 Pontiac I was 10-11 at the time and I remember very well the glow of the heater switch under the dash. I do remember a junk yard in Cadillac at the time full of T.s and A.s that were being used thru WW11 that finally ended up in scrapyard after the war was over and people started to buy new cars again. I remember walking thru it and seeing cars stacked up several high..(They were worthless then) Junkmans name was SOL YOUNG also mayor of Cadillac at the time and the biggest scrap dealer in area..even had a stack of motorcycles probably 20 feet tall..next to his house..Went back in '67 in my new 66 Ford convert and all that was gone..just little houses next to each other..even the roads were paved Imagine that..we had a small house actually three rooms and a path..oldwagonman holding to the good old days

ok I have heard enough talk about ducks ..waterfowl..and whales on this good old days subject..I raise ducks as a hobby and they know better than to get on one of my cars..If it happens again they are in trouble..big trouble..just the other day I heard one of them complaining that some of his friends were "missing"..seems like it was last Sunday..and their always calling the white shirt and tie over at the local SFPOCTA complaining about conditions on the farm..In their "good old days" all they had to worry about was foxes..now its "who's" invited over this Sunday for dinner ..Soon as one of them got a cell phone..all my troubles started..yes animals can talk and anything can have a cell phone today..What I worry about (during these good old days) is that somebody out there has NO PARTS TO SELL..can you imagine not to be able to buy Parts.. I worry more about that then the WHALE problem..HEY it just stopped raining..I am going to go and ride around in my wagon..and no "Daffy" you cant come with me..(gettin on my nerves).. oldwagonman..PS (I can remember farther back than you can)! Whoa wait a minute here comes that white shirt again in a Crown Vic