Delco Remy alternator

Guest boettger

You'd have much better luck looking for a generator for this car.<BR>The first Alternator that Chrysler used was in the 1960 Valient and Dart.<P>1931 DeSoto was a Generator.<BR>Do you need one because you don't have one at all, or do you have one that doesn't work?<P>Repair parts for these old generators are around. They can be fixed.<P>Finding a complete genrerator may be a bit of a problem!

I agree mostly with the replies you have gotten. Original equipment on that vehicle was a generator, not an alternator. Further, it was likely an Autolite unit, not a Delco Remy, which is primarily used on GM cars. If you currently have a generator on the vehicle, let me know what the number is---I have a couple of older Autolite generators, and a bunch of parts, including NOS. I will see if I have something that can help get you going.<BR>Jim

Delco-Remy was standard on most Lycoming equipped cars, including Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs. Weak link was the regulators, which often stuck. This cases battery boil-overs and fires. I recently discovered a replacement regulator which is NOT correct in appearance, but uses a diode. You can take a good (or bad) regulator, remove the cap, solder in a jumper so that it is a dummy, and then run your wiring from the diode unit that you can paint black and hide inside the frame rail. Not much else should go wrong with the generator- replace your brushes. worst case scenario you have it rebuilt by a competent shop. Good luck.