63 Riv. Disassembly 101

Guest Pearville

Guest Pearville

Started on the rust in trunk, tail light, and back window areas today. I'm sure most know this but just in case there are more rookies like me. Pleasantly surprised, not as much hidden rust as expected.

Rear bumper has slotted bolt holes so you only have to loosen them and lift the bumper on the slots to take it off.

Rear window lower trim plate is held by five. bolts with nuts, accessible from beneath. End bolts are open to trunk area and middle bolts through holes above the spare tire shelf.

I have a shop/body manual on order and I am sure these are addressed there.

Mike

post-94474-143142175734_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142175831_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest REX STALLION

Mike since your in the trunk area,could you show me how the emblem is attached to the trunk lid? I need to know what sort of clips go on the flat tabs on the emblem? I got my car in boxes so a few things are a mystery to me.

Thanks,Scott

Guest Pearville
Mike since your in the trunk area,could you show me how the emblem is attached to the trunk lid? I need to know what sort of clips go on the flat tabs on the emblem? I got my car in boxes so a few things are a mystery to me.

Thanks,Scott

Scott, I just pried the letters off very carefully. I bought some trim and molding tools at Harbor Freight and one of them is a thin flat tool that works very well for removing delicate trim. It worked well until I got to the "Riviera" on the lower from fender. That one is so delicate I hate to say I broke it getting it off. The letters were fairly easy, just work slow and use some WD40 or other lubricant to help. Good luck. Mike

Guest Pearville

Redneck restoration update: Pics from yesterday, body stripped of bumpers and chrome. Hole in drivers side floor trimmed up in preparation for patching. Am I still having fun? As a matter of fact I am really enjoying the work and learning a lot. Mike

post-94474-143142245085_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142245092_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142245099_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142245106_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142245113_thumb.jpg