38 Century vent window

Guest RonJar

Guest RonJar

Hi, The passenger side vent window on my 38 Century 4 door, has a very bad wind whistle and water leak because it won't close properly. The previous owner has replaced the rubbers seals, they are new and look like they are installed properly. When the vent is wound shut, the bottom of the vent glass fits snugly against the rubber seal but there is a good 1/8" gap between the top rear corner of the vent glass and the rubber. Can the upper pivot for the vent frame be adjusted in and out, and if so, how? The other option is to move the top of the window post out, if that's possible. Any suggestions? Another point, why can I not start a new paragraph by pressing the ENTER key? Nothing happens when I press ENTER. Thanks, RonJ

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Ron

The answer to your problem could be as simple as re-setting your vent window glass. I can't recall an adjustment at the top of the vent window post. As far as I can say, the only adjustment is down low in the door where the post attaches. I'd get a blade and free up your glass, get some glass setting compound (silicone or whatever your favorite is), and set the glass to the post, providing the glass isn't sitting way out of it's channel!

Cheers

Grant

• 1 month later...
Guest RonJar

I had a new piece of vent glass cut from 6mm laminated glass (because I cracked the original). I used clear silicone sealer/adhesive in the frame, set the glass back in it's frame, shimmed it with a few bits of inner tube and the problem is solved. No more gap or noise!! Thanks for the tip. ..... RonJ

Guest Grant Magrath

Great to hear Ron! I used clear silicone on my Chev's vent windows too. Had to paint the inside of the chromed frames black first.

Cheers

Grant