1930 Pontiac brake cables wanted

I am looking for flexible brake cables for both front wheels of my 1930 Pontiac. Please let me know if you or someone you know of has any for sale.<P>Thanks!<BR>TS

I'm not sure if Pontiac's cables are the same as Chevy or not. <P>My inner cable is 18.25" long (including end fittings), and the outer shell is 13.5" long. I can send you a CAD drawing if needed.<P>Thanks,<BR>TS

Guest rcirilli

I'm not positive what the chevy looks like but I would think they will be closer to the Buick. I will look around and see if I have a set worth sending you. I have a lot of stuff for my 29 Pontiac. Brake stuff is lean. Do you have an original set? I'm sure they can be made.<BR>

The cables I need are for wood wheels.<P>I think the rear wheel cables I have are original, and I have one matching cable for one of the front wheels, but that cable is half missing. The x-section of the cable starting from the outside is: A heavy woven canvas-like covering, then a tightly wound steel spring, then short steel cup/cone segments that allow bending, and finally, the steel cable. Each end has a one-piece fitting, and a thin brass part to cover the ends of the fabric covering. <P>I have considered making a pair of cables, but think it would be very expensive/time consuming, since the end fittings and the cup/cone segments (about 30 total pieces) needed to be turned out on a lathe. Also, the fabic covering would be hard to re-create. [The spring and center cable would be easy to make.] <P>I'm really hoping someone has a pair for sale! TS

Guest rcirilli

I will look at mine again and see if either is usable and I will get back to you. Is this for driving or show?

The car I need front wheel brake cables for is a driver. I still need the following parts: four exterior door handles, one interior door handle, radiator cap, rope loops to help get in/out, windshield wiper 'motor', battery cover, trunk latches, u-joints for drive shaft, seat adjustment knob.<P>There's probably a few other things, but I can't think of them now.

Guest rcirilli

I'll check my stock some more. I have had great luck getting door handles sand cast. It takes having one good one. There was a guy in Arizona that had a couple of cars with a lot of accessories still in tact. I don't have his name handy but he always advertised in hemmings. Being a roadster a lot of my stuff is different or I would duplicate them for you.

What metal do you use for the handles you sand casted? Where in Hemmings is the ad from the 'guy from Arizona'? Do you know of any good internet sources for antique car parts?

Guest rcirilli

I use white brass for all my sand cast, they come out shining and don't need crome. The AArizona guy was in the misc. cars section. I usually just send letters of inquiry out whenevr I see Pontiac ads. Did you know that the points are the same as those used on a Continental engine, which is used in a lot of equipment like forklifts.