Lowered '63

Guest mtn

So I have had my 63 for about 1 1/2 years now. It is a nice black on black car that had been restored in the 90s.

post-73765-143139219971_thumb.jpg

One more

post-73765-143139219979_thumb.jpg

So it was a little tall for my taste and I decided to lower it!! I knew I wanted about 3 inches and I did some research into air bags to lower it and drop coils. I ended up settling on Coil Spring Specialties 3 inch drop coils. I had heard nothing but good about them and it proved to be true. I set aside a Saturday to do the swap and got two good friends to help. While I was waiting on the springs to come I ended up ordering Allied Wheel Components Supreme wheels and new Hancock 3/4 white wall tires. I knew that the wheels were uni-lug and that I would need 5/16 wheel spacers also. So with all my parts in hand including the wrong size tires mounted on my wheels (225-75-15) which are indeed to BIG!!!I showed up at my friends house around 11:30am and we started by jacking the front end up and putting jack stands under it. We got the wheels off and decided to drop the a-arm off the upper ball joint. This seems to be the easiest way to get the spring out once you get the wheel off then its only the sway bar ends and shocks that need to be taken off plus unhooking your rubber front brake lines. We then started on the back and it was even easier, basically just the pan hard bar and shocks. This all took about 3 hours we got it all set down and we went to bleed the brakes and low and behold we could not build pressure!!! Ends up that the front drum was slipped on crooked and pulled the wheel cylinder rod out and put it at a funny angle!! So I call and found a rebuild kit, we get it on then as we start to bleed the brakes again the damn passenger rear hard line ruptures!! Back to the parts store for a hard line, get it on then bleed the brakes. I think I left his place at 6:30pm and drove it about 15 miles home. A couple of things first the tires are to big, not sure yet how much but I need to drop a couple of sizes they rub at about 3/4 lock on the inner fender. Second the uni-lug wheels have oblong holes that are not recessed so the mag washers ride on top of the wheel and with no way to index the washers they SUCK and look BAD so I need to figure that out too. But all in all I love the new look and now know I need all new suspension rubber! That is next on the list.

Here are some after pics and thanks for looking if anybody has any questions fire away.

post-73765-143139219992_thumb.jpg

post-73765-143139219989_thumb.jpg

Looks killer!! Is that a 3" drop front & rear?? How is your exhaust clearance(to the ground)?? I'm doing a 2"/1" drop with 17" wheels. Wanted a 3" but worried about clearance. Also, what are the backspace of your wheels(front rear)?? Thanks

So far no clearance issues on the car at all other. Well other than I need several sizes smaller tires to stop the inner fender rubbing,but as long as I go at a angle or slow over curbs and speed bumps nothing rubs. Sorry it took so long to reply but work is busy.