1936 model 41 Lower inner shaft rebuild

Guest CAFoster

Guest CAFoster

Hi, I am fairly new to the forums. I have been restoring a 1930 model 68 and recently acquired a 1936 model 41. The 36 had very loose steering and grabby brakes. I have disassembled the front suspension and found a bad center bearing, badly worn upper arms, lower arms and inner shafts and bushings. The king pins were not as worn, but I will redo them also. I have not been able to find replacement inner shafts and bushings. Bob's has them for 1937,1938 and mine look like his catalog photo, but he said they would probably not fit the 36. The shafts have casting # F4295-5 showing from underneath the car. They are 12.5" long with 1"x11 threads on each end. The front bushing is 1.25" diam with 1"X11 female thread. The inner has a 1.25"X11 outer thread and a 1"X11 inner thread. I would like to know if these would be found on other cars or years. Alternatively, to restore the worn shaft, how about building up the shaft end by welding, rethreading them, in my lathe, to the original and re-heattreat them. I would then make new bushings. I could also just reduce the size of the shaft ends to 7/8", but wonder about the strength. Does anyone know what type of cast steel they are, it is not real hard as I can readily file the shaft. And /or know what the heat treat recipe is.

Thanks Chris