Track bar?

macc

I bought some new bushings for my track bar the other day now it's time to get them swapped out. I was able to get the track bar unbolted and outta the car without too much of a struggle but I'm having a hell of a time getting the metal sleeve out. Anyone got any tips on getting them out?

Guest Rob J

I used my Harbor Frieight 12 ton press to get them out. I did have to grind a bit off of the edges of the metal sleeves to allow the track bar to rest on the press plate. HTH.

Macc,

I just removed these last week. I too used the 12-ton press from Harbor Freight to remove all my rear suspension bushings including the rubber on the track bar. After removing the rubber, I clamped the track bar in my vise (just below the loop) and used a chisel to wack out the pressed ring.

Sit the chisel vertically with the end just catching the lip of the steel sleeve. Give it a couple of wacks, which will begin to move the sleeve (and the chisel will start to cut into the sleev). After it moves a bit and gets some bite into the sleeve, you can get a better grip on it and wack it a bit harder. Just keep at it until if finally just pops out (and the chisel goes flying across the bench:D).

Let me know if this description helps. If not, I'll see if I can scrounge up the parts from the garbage and stage a photo for you.

Mark