If i were to paint some things on my 1919 Dodge Brothers...?

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Hi. IF i were to paint certain items on my 1919 Dodge Brothers Convertible Coupe........i would like to know......given the original paint is enamel, do i need to find an equivalent to an old time enamel, or could i use modern urethane enamels? Is clear coating the base color appropriate? I, of course would match the colors correctly. Should the paint texture match the texture of the day, or can it be smooth and flat to perfection? I'm not familiar with Dodge Brothers judging standards, so IF i do paint something i want it done in a way that retains it's value, if someday it were to be judged in a concours way. I used to be into the Model A Ford, and the MAFCA standards are pretty stringent, i.e. the paint inside the fenders has to have the correct "runs" in it as if it were "dipped"/The cap screws have to be the "correct screw",etc. I'm assuming MAFCA is that way, as there are so many model A's, in order to differentiate between so many contestants, they have to really split hairs to come up with a winner. Is there a written standard somewhere i could get my hands on? Thanks.

I think if you were to look for a written standard than you would have to decide where you may think you may have it judged and contact them to see how they set their standards.

In my opinion alot of those questions maybe only you can answer, as in it all depends on how far you want to take it.

Nice to hear that you have an interest in making it just as it was so if that is your interest than study how it was originally done which in my opinion is alot of fun in itself and then decide what you can afford to do or how far you can take it.

In my opinion judging is for the birds so I do things how I want them done so that I am satisfied with the job.

Guest brian j

I agree with you. And i like to do things my own way. I personally would use a modern paint for durabilty, and outright superior appearance. But i always keep an eye towards historical correctness, especially when it comes to a rare car of any kind. I have gotten the impression that this 1919 Convertible Coupe is a model that is not very common. While i'm driving it i could care less about Judging standards, as i like to drive 'em, and have never been one to worry about entering it in competitive shows. But if it's one of the only ones left, i would try to do it so when the day comes to sell it, or it goes to a museum, it would be a "correct" car, and would be ready to "show", and retain a good value, dollar wise. I also have a 1969 AMC Rebel "Raider" in "Electric Green". It's one of only 2 left in existence in this MOD color of the day. As a matter of fact the historical importance of this car is that it was the very first car they produced in a "Mod" color, which they soon after changed to "Big Bad Green". With any other AMC car i own, i would be willing to take liberties with the correctness thing. But with the "Raider", i'll go through great pains to make it as close to original as humanly possible.....right down to the poly enamel paint. For the obvious reason of historical value. That being said.....i probably won't drive it much. That's what i have my AMX for....warts and all. So if Judging is not "stringent" with the DB, i'll do it my way. If it needs to be absolutely correct, i know how to do that too......but it won't look as nice. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. Regards.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Fist of all The Dodge Brothers meet there's no judgeing.I have seen cars that has been painted two tone green for 1917 have seen touring made into a truck, have seen coupes painted 4 different colors as per a sales booket.and have seen dBs restored to the "BOOK" as to say.So as far as it seems one can/should restored as one wants and enjoy it.(With in reason that is). I know I'm going to hear a lot from others that has never went to a meet.

Vern

Brian, I would like to see pict. of the Marlins you have if you have any, what a pretty car and I would be all over that one for sale if I needed another project

Guest brian j

I do have 1967 Marlin(s). The ones i have are part of a scheme to create the most rust free, rotisserie restored Marlin. Hopefully the best that can be found. It was difficult to find an actual totally rust free Marlin body. I finally found a car in Texas, that had hail dings, but was not rusted through anywhere. It was also not running, and badly in need of a restoration. What i have determined, over the years, is there were a total of 2545 1967 Marlins produced over a 6 month period, by special order only, as the production of the car was killed before it even made it to the showroom floors. Of that number it is said that about a hundred survive, if you can get one of the holders of the "phantom" registries let you have a look (but not likely). I have travelled cross country searching for these cars, over several years, and attend AMC shows, and will say that my experience tells me that about 80 of those hundred cars are in various stages of rust, often neglected and outdoors. I would be generous to say i believe there are 20 1967 Marlins in exceptional driving condition. Now there are people out there who will debate this.......i say.....show me the MARLINS. I have yet to see a record produced that would prove me otherwise. All this being said......it has taken me many years, but i have accumulated 3 additional Marlin parts cars, along with a 4th that has 30K miles,a great interior, runs great, but was hit in the front cowl are, causing light structural damage. All this, and years of slowly collecting NOS parts for this car have brought me to the point of starting the restoration........ALMOST. I recently picked up that Electric Green Rebel Raider of which is one of the rarest AMC cars ever. Also rust free, and needing restoration. Along with the 1919 Dodge Brothers Convertible coupe, is leaving me a little more car rich than i can handle. At some point, somethings gotta give, unless i win the lottery or something. I know i'll eventually have to sell something, but i'm avoiding actually doing it. I have thought about selling the Texas Marlin and the 30K Marlin together as a pair, to shorten the time it would take to build a nice running car, after the rotisserie....by the way, its a (the Texas Marlin) Sungold metallic/black 2 tone, 343 v8/automatic console,PS,PB,Air cond., bucket seats. It would take $4K to get the pair from me.....i would throw in some used parts,NOS stuff would be extra$. If you are looking for an allready finished one they show up every few years, about $8K to 12K average. Exceptional ones get as high as $24K, but i can think of a handful that meet that standard, and they seldom are up for sale. I'll post some pics, but as of yet i still haven't decided what i'm going to do. Thanks for the interest though. The Marlin, in my opinion is one of the best looking cars ever produced in 1967, but thats just my opinion. Regards.

quote.......The Marlin, in my opinion is one of the best looking cars ever produced in 1967..........If it is not the best than it certainly is one of the best. Look forward to some pics

I had no idea they were so rare, so than if so rare why hasnt anyone picked up that one for sale that you were commenting on in general discussion, price seems as if is MORE than fair for the condition, I guess we go back to it being an oddball brand and if it aint a chevelle or camaro than no-one wants it.

I want it and would love to own it but I cant find the time to take care of the vehicles I have and am less impulsive now compared to years ago. I hope it goes to someone that will give it the attention it needs

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest brian j

Yes, they are very rare. Because of that, many people are not familiar with them. I run into people all the time, who play a guessing game with me as to what it is. You have to remember, when AMC was killed by Chrysler back in the late 80's a 40 something person would have been 10 years old at the time. Many people just don't remember AMC being around. Add to that fact, that there are not many reproduction parts made to support the AMC contingent, people are skittish about buying one. They can, and are, being restored every day, but just like the Dodge Brothers vs. Ford...... the Fords have so many re-pop parts, you can build one from scratch, but the Dodge Brothers car gets restored the old school way......with sweat, patience, and determination, coupled with a nationwide search for parts. Of course, i haven't forgotten there ARE some DB and AMC repro parts out there, but not nearly what is there for more common cars. I will say this about AMC cars in general. I do my own work on them, and for their day they are a great car to work on.....very intelligently built. The "big three" had nothing on them for quality. I feel they are a "best kept secret", like the DB cars. One of the benefits of keeping that fact "secret", is they are still affordable. But once people start figuring it out, that could change.......Regards

Edited by brian j
misspelled (see edit history)

Guest brian j

I may end up building this Marlin yet............i just have to get off the fence and do it. Every time i look at it, it begs me to keep it, after all the time and work i have invested at this point.

Edited by brian j
punctuation (see edit history)

Just my opinion hopefully not too late but finish one before you start another, too late for the Dodge I guess and I can only hope that it does get finished.

I have never owned one but I had a good friend at one time that owned a rebel machine, AMC javelin and an AMX 390 4 spd car. It was crazy that 390, crap your pants in a heartbeat no matter how tempered you thought you might be. Lots of fun!!

Guest brian j

As far as the 1919 Dodge Brothers goes, i was only going to get it running and functional, and drive it" as is." But i have decided to remove the rust from the wire wheels, as there is very little paint left on the wheels. The purpose of doing it is to make the car safer to drive. I plan on removing the rust using "electrolysis". I have done it before, and give the process good marks for removing rust. One of the things electrolysis is good for is when it removes rust, it also removes the rust that is hidden inside screw threads, etc.. Most times, the threaded object can be disassembled as if it were new, even if it was previously immovable. The process does not remove any parent metal, and does not affect hardened surfaces. The waste product is baking soda, and water, so it is non toxic also. After de-rusting i plan on checking the roundness of the rim, and re-torquing the spokes, if needed. I would then paint, and re-assemble the wheel/tire combo. The work i plan on doing to the DB in the immediate future is geared mostly to getting it to run properly, reliably, and foremost safely. Mostly a little elbow grease and a small amount of paint. That way i can drive it, while putting forth most of my money/efforts to whichever AMC car i decide to restore first.

As far as the 1919 Dodge Brothers goes, i was only going to get it running and functional, and drive it" as is." But i have decided to remove the rust from the wire wheels, as there is very little paint left on the wheels. The purpose of doing it is to make the car safer to drive. I plan on removing the rust using "electrolysis". I have done it before, and give the process good marks for removing rust. One of the things electrolysis is good for is when it removes rust, it also removes the rust that is hidden inside screw threads, etc.. Most times, the threaded object can be disassembled as if it were new, even if it was previously immovable. The process does not remove any parent metal, and does not affect hardened surfaces. The waste product is baking soda, and water, so it is non toxic also. After de-rusting i plan on checking the roundness of the rim, and re-torquing the spokes, if needed. I would then paint, and re-assemble the wheel/tire combo. The work i plan on doing to the DB in the immediate future is geared mostly to getting it to run properly, reliably, and foremost safely. Mostly a little elbow grease and a small amount of paint. That way i can drive it, while putting forth most of my money/efforts to whichever AMC car i decide to restore first.

Good to hear, I was under the impression for some reason that you had already started really dissasembling the car, I thought that you had removed the interior ect at the very least.

I need to go back to your previous posts to again look at the pictures and may comment further on what I see.

I have only recently started reading everything I can concerning the 4 cyl Dodges and am finding most of what I am reading most fascinating and would appreciate any info you might also share concerning the car.

BTW I will admit that before I had seen the post of the Marlin for sale and your subsequent posts I dont believe I had ever seen one. For some reason I seem to have a memory of hearing about them and maybe reading something about them at some point in the past but that may just be a reflection of things I have read from your posts here.

Thanks again

Guest brian j

No, i haven't done much to the car. I bought the DB with the driver front fender removed. The passenger side seat back was rough, not much to work with. One of the inside door panels was removed also. But i haven't disassembled anything yet myself. I'm waiting for the weather here to get a little nicer, and i'll wash the thick layer of dust coating it, so i can see what it looks like. The dust had been on the car so long, it survived the 50 mile ride home on the open trailer. I'll be posting updates and pics as i get things going. Between now and then i'm hoping to find what few parts are missing from it. I haven't had much luck so far. I think the parts i'm looking for are few and far between, so it might take awhile. If you have any questions about the car, i would be glad to answer them. Regards