1936-37 Dictator Owners with Startix Option

Guest 37Dictator

Guest 37Dictator

I was hoping for some some assistance from any 1936 or 37 Dictator owners that have the Startix Option from the factory.

1.0 Can you give me dimensions to locate the Startix Unit. I know that it is most likely located on the firewall right beside the Junction Block. It appears the only open place is the angled section of the Fire Wall.

2.0 Was there another Bolted type of connection on the Starter Motor to bypass the Manual Starter Switch?

3.0 Was the Startix Unit supplied in the Factory Option supplied with the Plated or the Black Wrinkle finish on the Casing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Frank

Guest stude8

I can't answer any of your questions specifically about the 1936-37 Studebaker applications but I did have this service bulletin from an early Skinned Knuckles publication on file. It might answer some questions for you in the future.

Stude8

post-31139-143138553949_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

I had other Startix data on file and found it tonight, scanned it and will attach the 4 page article from Skinned Knuckles V1 N1 bulletin Aug, 1976. This should help anyone repairing a Startix system quite a bit.

Stude8

post-31139-143138554021_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138554027_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138554032_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138554038_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Dictator

Thanks very much for your reply...the Skinned Knuckle Article is one of the more complete documents ont he the Startix. I now have a reasonable complete library of articles on the Startix.

If I have any problems I know they can be rebuilt that aarticle will come in handy in the future if I have serious problems with it.

The unit I have is with the plated finish but I think the correct finish is the wrinkle finish for Studebaker in 1937.

Im wondering where all the 36 and 37 owners who have this option maybe it is rarer than I figured....I have original 1937 Studebaker advertizing about the Startix Option but it only gives the price $12.00

I am a Member of the Antiques Studebaker Drivers Club ...does the club have a recent Roster?

Once again thanks for your reply

Guest stude8

Yes, there is a new 2011 ASC member roster that is distributed to members, if you didn't get one I would inquire to Mark at membership HQ, 763-420-7829 or mark@cornerstonereg.com.

It has about 25 pages with 65 owners per pg listed plus other 8 pg's of alpha by owner name and state location.

Stude8

• 1 month later...
Guest 37Dictator

Thanks to everyone who has assisted me in completing this option on my car.

I have decided to follow the 1936 Studebaker Dictator Startix instllation for my car .

Many thanks to Stude8 for the technical literature.

Dick Quinn and Ken Porteous have been most helpful with information the actual installation on the 1936 Dicator ...Ken gave me the lead to acquire a NOS Backfire Switch which is part of the installation.

I have restored both the Startix Unit and the Backfire Switch and have all other supplies on order. With luck I will have this in my car in September

Thanks again to all who helped ...Frank

Guest 37Dictator

Klnord

Thanks for forwarding your photos to me. They are very helpful in locating the switch and the wiring . I am going to make my own harness as the Startix Option was strictly an accessory option and doesnt appear to have a wire harness.

Was there a Backfire Breaker Switch located on the exhaust manifold side of the engine. It is a 1-1/4" diameter round switch with 2 electrical connections on either side.

Is your car a President or Dictator Model? Regards Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

My car is a Dictator. Here is a few shots of how the wires run on my parts car.

The backfire switch: I noticed you said exhaust manifold, it's actually on the intake manifold. But you probably knew that.

Kevin

post-76329-143138621101_thumb.jpg

post-76329-143138621129_thumb.jpg

post-76329-143138621153_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Dictator

Kevin

Thanks very much your photos have confirmed the last information I require to make an exact installation of the Startix option on my car.

I am writing a Technical Specification for the installation of the Startix on the 1937 Dictator as I install this option. It was only available through the Dealer in 1937 as it was dropped as a Factory Option [according to corporate sales literature.

Thanks once again for you help..if you require any technical assistance if you plan to restore your car I will be glad to help you!

Regards Frank

post-67899-143138621184_thumb.jpg

post-67899-143138621203_thumb.jpg

post-67899-14313862122_thumb.jpg

post-67899-143138621294_thumb.jpg