28 president 8, 2 part lighting question

Guest maudsley

Guest maudsley

1. If the light lever on the steering wheel is in the "off" position, will the lever be pointing directly to 6 Oclock? (determining alignment)

2. Cowl lights. I am not sure what position the lever will be in for these to come on. (my car currently illuminates the cowl lights in the low beam position) I suspect that this is wrong, and it was rewired this way when the new harness was installed some time ago. I suspect they should illuminate in the park position, since there is only one light bulb in the front headlights.

3. Sorry 3 q's. Does any one have an illustration of the 28 fa pres lighting switch? And, can you tell me the correct tracer color for the cowl, or head lights.

thanks,

David

Guest stude8

I can only hope your FA President light switch arrangement is the same as my 1928 Commander Big Six where the "Off" lever position is located at 6 oclock as you suggest. On the Commander from left to right (counterclockwise rotation) the light positions are PARK; OFF; DIM; BRIGHT.

If OFF is not mechanically at the 6 oclock position you will have to loosen the center lever tube clamp at steering gear end and rotate the assembly until OFF is at 6 oclock. Then take a "Hot" wire (battery -6 volts) and touch the switch terminals one by one to determine what lamps light at each switch contact.

Then just relocate what ever cable leads that are improperly located to the correct lamp circuits so the correct lamps light when the lever is moved through its positions as indicated by the bakelite horn button surround text.

See attached image from the 1928 Commander light lever assy.

Stude8

post-31139-143138531393_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

The only image I have at the moment of the light switch terminals is attached but it doesn't clearly show any lead color codes because wire ends are sleeved at the terminal contact for insulation reasons.

Stude8

post-31139-1431385314_thumb.jpg

Guest maudsley

Stude8, Thank you again, you are always so much help. Can you confirm that the cowl or side lights are the "park" lights?