Push that brake pedal now!

Guest DodgeKCL

Guest DodgeKCL

Many of you ask questions about brakes and rebuilding them but did you know that the inactivity that occurs during winter storage is the biggest cause of leakage and ridges building up on the cylinder bores. I learned this from an old mechanic. To keep the cylinders in working condition, and the bores wet, the brake pedal needs to be pushed several times once a month. I choose the same day that I put my trickle charger on my batteries for the day. He said he used to just open the door and kick (!) the pedal a couple of times when he was walking by if couldn't remember the last time he'd done it. He said he never had problems with leaking brakes.

Over the years I've thought about it and I've assumed the automotive engineers designed the brakes with the thought in mind that they would be used at least every week if not more. This would keep the rubbers moving back and forth on the bores and prevent rust forming on the 'outside air' side of the cups. It also stops chipping or tearing of the rubber cups, both in the master and wheel cylinders, when they first move after sitting still for 5 or 6 months.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)