1939 Coupe VIN tag location and layout?

Guest 39coupe

Guest 39coupe

Hi guys!

I have just bought a 1939 Dodge 2 door Coupe that has a clear title but is missing most of it`s firewall due to modifications by previous owner installing a newer V8 engine and trans.

My question to you is,

Were there VIN plates on firewall on 39 Dodge cars? How did it look? Is there anyone selling new ones?

Apprichiate all help!

:)

Thanks, Andy<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest DodgeKCL

I believe all Chrysler autos,CPD and D, had their serial numbers on a vertically mounted plate on the right hand front door jamb,usually the center locking post if a sedan or the rear of the door opening if a coupe/roadster etc.

The firewall plate usually only had the body line sequence number (from the body maker's assembly line numbers) and the style code,CPE=coupe,SED=sedan,RDSTR=roadster etc. Trucks however did carry the serial number on the firewall plate. All CPDD vehicles have their serial number stamped into the frame 'SOMEWHERE' on the frame rails. Most of the later ones had it stamped in the outside, left front, frame face around the rear shackle of the front left spring, about 8" long and about 2" up from the bottom of the rail face. Quite large numbers.

I've heard it can be on the right side frame and I've also heard that you can lift the body (!!) and it can be found on the frame arch over the rear axle usually the left side. The number was stamped on the frame so the guys on the line at body drop time would know what number to stamp on the door post plate or at least make sure the build sheet and the actual vehicle numbers matched.

The 'serial number' is what the D.O.T./M.O.T. would ask you for and call the 'V.I.N.' to register the car today. (Been there,done that.)

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Guest 39coupe

Thank you very much for the info, that explaines why there isn`t a tag on the firewall :-)

I will see on the frame if I can find the number there as well.

Thanks again, Andy

Guest Bill-W

The serial number will be on a plate attached to the right front hinge post. This location was adopted when the FEDCO plate was dropped for 1930-31. In 1946 the plate was switched to the left (driver's) front hinge post.

For cars, such as 1939, with the front doors hinged on the forward edge, the plate will be attached to the post under the "A" pillar.

On cars such the 1932-33 models with "suicide" style front doors, the plate will be found on the "B" pillar.

The firewall plate was placed there by the body manufacturer, whether the body was built by Chrysler, Briggs, Murray, Hayes, etc. The plate with the build information, color, trim, model, and options was adopted after WWII.

If you have a Canadian-built model, from 1935 through 1965 there was a plate with Model No., Body No., Paint Code and Trim Code.

Bill

Toronto, ON