spark plug wire.....

Guest 27 coupe

Guest 27 coupe

i have a 27 dodge coupe with 4 cyl motor...the plug wires have been changed to what looks to be a modern style. a friend of mine said he thought that the plug wires should be like the old origanal type that has an actual wire in it....does it need that type to run properly? any help would be great

Guest M R Simpers

27 Dodge,

This isn't a high performance engine; therefore, I wouldn't think that there'd be much difference in how it runs.

Myer's has the correct wires. What he sells are orange with black strips. The correct plug terminations Myers provides are the forked as you have. I think a set is about $21.50.

The original coil, which is nothing like what you have, is mounted under the dash and out of sight behind the firewall. All you would see would be the long "hot" wire coming through the fire wall on its way to the distributor. If you want to make this look correct, move the coil out of sight.

I have been lead to believe that the DB used the same Champion spark plugs that Ford used on the Model "A". I am putting a set of these on my '27 DB. I dug out an old set from my Model "A" box of treasures. Snyder's Antique Car Parts in Springfield, OH - or any other Model "A" parts supplier - has them for about $25 each.

M.R. Simpers

Cocoa, FL