TOP REPLACEMENT

I HAVE A 67 SKYLARK CONV. THAT NEEDS A NEW<BR>TOP. I'VE LOOKED AT YEAR ONE AND JC WHITNY AND LOCAL INSTALLERS FOR PRICES. MY QUESTION IS, IS REPLACEMENT EASY TO DO YOURSELF AND IF SO WHERE WOULD YOU GO TO GET A GOOD TOP?

Guest John Chapman

67Cruiser,<P>I've got the same to do to my '65... here's what I've discovered:<P>-- Installing convertible tops is like hanging doors, installing cabinets and doing wallpaper.... In concept its easy, but in practice there is a degree of magic (PFM, actually ... Pure Freaking Magic) required. That magic is acquired by practicing with the correct tools and repetition. I found that top installation (including the well boot, window, top and all the bits and pieces was about $250 (California Dollars). I consider that a reasonable price, seeing as I'm likely to ruin a new $200 top and other things left to my own devices. That doesn't include the six days it'd take me to do it.<P>Top Kits -- Old restoration upholstery guy said... "short of the bestest custom ones on the market, they're all about the same, there's only two or three manufacturers to start with...." It doesn't make sense to me to put a $700 top on a driver. I got mine from YearOne, because I had a big order and got a 15% discount.<P>I'll do something else to save the money I spend on the install... and the money I save from not having to do it over in the end.<P>Cheers,<BR>John

I couldn't agree more with John. I had the top in my ''69 Skylark convertible done last year. I bought the top and well from someone local. It's made by Robbins and the quality if very nice. I took it to another local place to have it installed for $150 and they included the pads. My brother did the same thing. I think that install price is on the low side, but you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.<P>When I bought my car , the top was barely hanging on. I took it apart and cleaned up the parts. That was enough to convince me that putting it on was not going to be worth the attempt.<P>Good luck!<P>Ron*

I DID THE SAME WITH MY '71 GS ABOUT 2YRS AGO.<BR>I TOOK THE CAR AND HAD THE TOP REMOVED AND PICKED IT BACK UP. I CLEANED AND REPAINTED ALL OF THE FRAME AND THEN HAD THE NEW TOP PUT ON. IT WAS A YEAR ONE TOP AND RELATED PARTS. IT LOOKS GREAT.<BR>RANDY

I have a Brand New 1966 GS Convert Top.<BR>Had it made 12 years ago for my 66 GS.<BR>White in color with a back window (plastic).<BR>My uncle did not know I was having it made,<BR>so he had one made for me also (Blue in color). The GS was blue so I had the blue<BR>top installed instead of the white one.<BR>Been in the box 12 years in my uncle's<BR>basement. Got it out 3 weeks ago. Looks <BR>great except for some mold (small area).<BR>Used Oxi Clean on it. Most of the mold came<BR>out. Not a top for a Show car, but a Great<BR>top for a driver. Can see mold stain only<BR>close up. Top is in perfect condition. Never<BR>been on a car. If you are interested, mail<BR>me NEW1966@aol.com

What kind of a shop will install a top kit which I have purchased somewhere else and do a good installation for $ 250.00 or less? I wish I could find such a place on the east coast that would do it for me. <BR>To me this is like bringing my own eggs to a diner, and asking them to cook them for me.

Guest Dynaflo2

I have an '82 Riv conv. and it needs a new top. I am told that because of limited production that year (1,248) and the fact that several different tops were used during the course of production, that this is an expensive top to replace. I am in Ohio. Anyone have a recommendation for a good vendor / installer within a couple hundred miles? Thanks.<P>John

Guest John Chapman

RxABS...<P>Check with folks from a local car club. I can't imagine a quality upholstery shop would object to installing a 'owner provided' item. I'd expect to pay a bit more for installation alone because the shop isn't selling the product and they can't expect to be held responsible for material quality.<P>It's not unusual for restorers to provide their own parts, at least not anywhere I've been.<P>JMC

Guest John Chapman

Dynaflo2....<P>If you can determine who the shop was that did the post-manufacture conversion, they should be able to provide a replacement or tell you where to get one.<P>I don't know much about your car, but my hunch would be that it was done by American Sunroof Company (ASC), a long-time GM sunroof and T-Top supplier and post-production modification facility. Check the following:<P> <A HREF="http://www.ascglobal.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ascglobal.com/</A> <P>They are the quality 'chop' shop of choice for a number of manufacturers.<P>Cheers,<BR>John<p>[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: John Chapman ]