1957 Roadmaster

1957 Roadmaster, continuously garaged, last driven 1981, rarely since 1970. 53000+ miles, one scratch on drivers side, rear bumper ends split slightly, otherwise good. Can someone approximate what this car may be worth? It is part of an estate and we are not collectors, so have no idea of value. It will be for sale soon.

My book shows the 57 Roadmaster 4-dr hardtop at $4000 in "Good" #4 condition and up to $8000 for "Very Good" #3 condition. I suspect you'll be someplace in that range depending on overall condition and how the car drives. Hope that helps.

If it is a Roadmaster, I believe it has to be a hardtop, as they did not make a Roadmaster 4-dr. sedan in 1957. When you roll down the front and rear side windows, there should not be any post between them. If it is a 4-door sedan with a side post, then it would have to be a Special or a Century. Look on the data plate on the upper right side of the firewall for the model number. 40 series is a Special; 60 series is a Century; 70 series or 750 series is a Roadmaster; 50 series is a Super.<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas

We were told by the lady whose father owned the car that it was a Roadmaster, but it is a 4 Door sedan, and my wife saw on the back that says 57 Special, so that must be what it is. Does that make it more or less valuable, and what are the chances of it actually starting after all this time?

Sorry to say, a 4-door sedan Special is the most common and least valuable of any of the '57 Buicks. But that said, they are still good cars, and very good looking cars in my opinion.<P>It depends on how long it has been sitting as to whether or not it will start. I once started a '61 LeSabre that had been sitting for 4 years, with just a new battery, new spark plugs, and a squirt of gas into the carburetor. But it usually isn't that easy. You may have to take off the gas tank and have it boiled out, rebuild the carburetor, and maybe replace the fuel line and fuel pump. I've had to do all that and more on cars which have been sitting for many years.<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #78338<BR>Ector, Texas

The 57 Special 4-dr Sedan books at about $2400 for a #4 to $4800 for a #3. Obviously, it is to your advantage to get it running before you try to sell it.

Guest Shaffer

I can't find my value guide. Does anyone know what those book values are for a 1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop sedan? Thanks.