Cellular Core Style Radiator Repair

Guest Jake 1938

Guest Jake 1938

I have a cell style radiator for my 1937 Chrysler that has some minor leaks - in the solder joints of the cells. Local - modern rad repair shops are really nervous about working on the rad as they feel as soon as they apply heat to solder at the cell leak, the heat will melt solder around the leak and propagate a bigger leak - fair concern. Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can counsel the local guys on this repair? Are there any reputable shops in the USA or Canada that I can send the rad for a restoration? Ideas are appreciated.

Guest mmikemitchell

The guys at the radiator shop are correct. A leak at the top or bottom bowl is very repairable, but in the core is something else. As the radiator expands and contracts the seams tend to seperate and dirt gets inside. You can't get inside to get it clean enough to solder. I owned a radiator shop in the early 80's and did a lot of honey comb type radiators. Back them we could order a replacement core by size. The supplier would cut it and ship it for assembly.

Thanks

Mike

Mike's Carburetor Parts