Late 1930's Buick Convertible Sedans

jimm

Hello All,

I have always admired Buick convertible sedans from 1937 through 1940 and am currently looking at several for sale. One was a Century model which had been restored several years ago and was in great shape except for what appeared to be stress cracks around the doors and center "B" pillar. Specifically, the cracks were in the top exterior sill areas of the rear doors, both in the front and rear areas of the door sills...... a fine crack at each end of the door leading from the edge of the door inward about one inch or so ...... clean through the metal. Also, cracks around the base of the B pillar where the pillar might be welded to the floor area. Either the cracks were not properly repaired before painting, or they appeared after the restoration. The car had no sign of rust or other body issues anywhere else except that the rear doors did not seem to line up to the door openings the way they should. You really had to slam the doors hard to get them closed. Seemed like it might be more than a mere need for adjustments.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a common problem with these cars? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall seeing similar cracks in other convertible sedans of this era, possibly LaSalle or Cadillac. Should I be concerned about this, or is it just a cosmetic issue that can easily be corrected? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Jim