Windscreen frames

Guest AussieJohn

Guest Aussie John

Can any one advise if there is a supplier of winscreen frames - either reporduction or good condition "originals" as I am looking for a frame for 1923 tourer

cheers

Guest Aussie John

Have looked at web site ...and will contact to see if they ca n ....earliest on the site is '24.

cheers

Guest TonyAus2

John

Just a suggestion. If you are looking for a lower sash because yours is rusted out at the bottom you could consider making one from an upper sash.

Cut the straight sides off the upper and the curved sides off the lower at the corners. Make up a template and bend the straight piece from the upper sash to the required shape using a combination of heat, brute force and ignorance. Some welding of redundant holes and transfer of the .screwed spigots to hold the handles will be necessary.

Weld on the curved sides. If these too are rusted, you will have to recycle the upper sides, bending them into an appropriate shape.

An alternative, and probably easier, is to weld suitably bent sections into the old frame if the rust is not too bad. The important part is the sectional shape of the frame.

I can help you with a 1924 upper sash which has the section you need and should, by my reckoning, provide sufficient material. Of course it is shallower than a 1923 and probably a different width. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Regards

Tony

Guest DodgeKCL

Brass Windshield frames /250 different makes in stock. Triple plated.

Ellis A. Baron 283 Humphries Rd. Frankston 3199 Victoria Australia

61-3-9787 phone or fax.

Ellis has been suppling reproduction frames/mascots and crank hole covers for CPDD products for maybe 30 years. I highly recommend him.

Guest TonyAus2
John

Just a suggestion. If you are looking for a lower sash because yours is rusted out at the bottom you could consider making one from an upper sash.

Cut the straight sides off the upper and the curved sides off the lower at the corners. Make up a template and bend the straight piece from the upper sash to the required shape using a combination of heat, brute force and ignorance. Some welding of redundant holes and transfer of the .screwed spigots to hold the handles will be necessary.

Weld on the curved sides. If these too are rusted, you will have to recycle the upper sides, bending them into an appropriate shape.

An alternative, and probably easier, is to weld suitably bent sections into the old frame if the rust is not too bad. The important part is the sectional shape of the frame.

I can help you with a 1924 upper sash which has the section you need and should, by my reckoning, provide sufficient material. Of course it is shallower than a 1923 and probably a different width. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Regards

Tony

Second thought on this one. The top rail of the frame does not have a slot for the T rubber that rests on the scuttle - Doh! Best you could do is cut some repair sections from the sides (which have provision for a rubber insert).

Guest Aussie John

DodgeKCL... you have missed a few nimbers there... if you have them let me know .... I will look him upp in phone book as well to see if I can find him...

Thanks..

TonyAus2 I will give you a ring later ...

Thanks to those who have replied to my tread ... I have managed to resurrect a bottom frame from two (2) others but would still like to get a frame in good condition or one re made if possible and not costing the earth...

I assume that this will be a problem in the future with other vehicles as supplies run out and restorations continue, and "elder" tradesmen who could replace things take an well earned rest......

Ah... the live of a restorer never was easy..

Cheers All

Guest martylum

Hi-I've bought a number of windshield glass frames from NC Industries in Sayre, PA in the U. S. for late 20s and early 30s cars. They have patterns for a number of Chrysler models.

They make the framing out of new extruded material and bend to size for the , usually, curved bottom section which fits on the cowl.The framing is made of 18-20 GA steel and has the slots on the outside edges for the rubber t-shaped rubber gasket material for the bottom and sides.

If your Aussie sources don't work out try them at 570-888-6216 in the U. S. I just called their number and found t hey are still in business and still make frames from patterns going back to the model 50 and model in 70.in the mid 20s.

Martin Lum