Distributor wiring - 23 Buick 6 cyl

Guest pssmls

Guest pssmls

My spark plug wires do not fit very well on the distributor cap - they keep coming loose. Rhode Island Wiring says Buick made their own wiring until 1926. I'm not sure the distributor cap is the correct one. It is a brown color - the distributor is black. The seats where the SP wires attach on the distributor cap are very shallow - only about 5/8" high. The wires will not stay on. Rhode Island Wiring can supply the wires, the offset spark plug boots, but not the distributor wire boots.

Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get what I need. Is there a way to check to see if I have the correct distributor cap, & if not, where I can obtain one along with a correct wire set? I would be very greatful. Most everything else, I have figured out with the help of you good people. I thank you in advance for any help in this area.

Paul Searcy

Paul, I think your cap is correct. Are your wires 7 or 9mm? You should be using 9 mm. However with that said, you can make brass shims to make your wires hold better into the cap. Also make sure that the brass ends are in good condition and spread equally around the spark plug holes. It take a little playing around, but you can get them to say in. I am told that in 23 the wires did not have the rubber caps on them. I have 7 mm caps on, a struggle to put on, but they help to keep the wires in also.

The caps are becoming very hard to find and expensive, so I try to make due with the ones I have, one on the car and one spare.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do, and how it turned out.