What would be a fair price?

My husband and I are going to sell our 1971 Buick Skylark. We have decided to put our time iin other restoration projects. The question is how much do you think this car is worth?<P>It's a two door, we bought two front fenders to replace the ones on the car, it runs (rough), there is some rust on the rear fenders all can be fixed. On tail light is cracked. No grill. The interior is nice, but front seat ripped. Everything is original. Headlights don't work, we're still trying to figure that one out!<P>We like the way the car looks, but bought it not knowing hard it is to find people willing to work on it.

I has a buick 350. All Original. The fenders we bought last year ran us $400. We bought the car for $500 two years ago. The quote we got from the body shop said that we needed to replace one rear quarter pannel. The doors are in great shape, the trunk is clean- no rust. The car itself is free of rust except the back fenders. The floor boards are solid and the interior is clean except the ripped front seat.<P>Do you honestly think we'll only get $500? If that's the case we'll probable keep it. I was hoping for $1000 since the fenders alone are worth a nice chunk of change.

Thanks for the info. I was really hoping on 1000, but I think at this point we really just want to get rid of it. I'll list it at $1000 and see if we get any bites. There are so many things that are in excellence shape with this car that I would hate to loose money off of it. For instance it has the original floor mats and the trunk, hood and doors are so solid. Many people suggested parting it out, but we live in a sub division and if the neighbors are talking about the car sitting there as is then they'll really be hot if its in pieces. <P>My hubby brought home a super bee tonight, I told him no more cars! Maybe his nephew and him can fix up the skylark. My hubby does mechanical work all the time. It's just so hard to find the parts for this car. That's the big problem.

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I've lived in the midwest most of my life and dealt with rust all I want to. I live in Tucson now (since 1987) and it's easy to find parts for 70's cars. If you decide to fix it and can't find parts, I'll be happy to put you in touch with people who have what you need. I won't broker them and add to your costs, I'll just give you names and phone numbers if you want. Let me knoow iif I can help.<BR>Bill

Unfortunately I've noticed that it is less expensive in the long run to pay more upfront and buy a car in good condition (either original or restored) than it is to buy a car cheap and restore it. Of course it also depends on the age of the car, availability of parts, and demand/appreciation of the year/model. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's much demand for a '71 Skylark at this point.<BR><P>If you do ALL work yourself, too, then it still might be cheaper to restore on your own. But that includes paint, body work, and other tasks (shocks/springs for example) which some people (me included) consider rather daunting or don't have the facilities for.<P>It seems like the general rule of thumb I've noticed is that any $$ you put into a car, expect to get at most 50% of that back when you sell it.<P>Carl

Well from your description, it does sound like the body is decent. '71 Buick A-bodies aren't as popular as previous years, and the 350 isn't that desirable of a motor (compared to 455). <P>You could probably get away with $1000, but it'll be tough. If you look at the market for these bodies, most people would rather get a stripped, not running 71 Gran Sport, instead of a Skylark, because they are worth much more. <P>If you spent a little money fixing up the body; maybe taking out dents, rust, and then primer it, you could probably sell easily for $1500. <P>Anyways, this is just my opinion. Ask around, go to your local Buick chapter, and go to eBay. See how much similar cars are selling for and base your price on that. Good luck.

I'd like that. It's such a nice looking car and I hate to see the old ones go (my husband drives a 1979 pick-up daily and my car is just as old!)<P>I would love to fix it up, but after having to special order a carb, break parts and the fenders I figured that this car is more work than it's worth! I'd like to fix it up though. We are really in need of the grill! <P>

Guest oldtimer

try ebay for parts. i can see ordering the carb. but any "good" auto parts store should have the brake parts. i've gotten parts for customers cars in the mid '40's from the regular parts shops.