1970 1969 Full-size Tilt Steering Column -- Rebuilt to SHOW QUALITY (Read This!)

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

Ground-up rebuilt, SHOW QUALITY tilt steering column for 1970 full-size Buick. (Will also fit 1969, and probably many other GM cars)

Not a hodge-podge of parts from different columns, this rust-free column was carefully removed from a non-crashed 1970 Estate Wagon, and meticulously rebuilt using NOS parts as required. Everything is tight and smooth as-new! It was professionally refinished in a semi-gloss black, just as GM originally built them (they were painted interior color at the assembly plant, just before installation).

<O:p

This tilt column has NOS bearings, and NOS turn signal switch. T/S switch is for cars without cornering lamps, but can be easily changed if you have this rare option.

The following components are not shown in photos, and are included:

--good used tilt lever (some scratches on plastic knob)

--used shift lever (unique to tilt column) with excellent chrome, but broken plastic knob

The following common parts must be transferred from your old non-tilt column:

--turn signal lever

--neutral safety switch

--hazard flasher knob

--lock cylinder (you’ll want to use yours, so your existing keys will continue to work!)

--steering wheel

--firewall close-out plate

--steering column rag joint

The following upgrades are available at extra cost:

--NOS shift lever knob

--NOS Delco-Remy ignition switch (unique to tilt column)

--mint turn signal lever

--nice used neutral-safety switch

SAFETY NOTE: These steering columns have a very fragile collapsing mechanism. The service manual provides dimensions that must be met, within 1/64”, in order to ensure that the collapsing mechanism has not been compromised. Many used columns will NOT meet this requirement because of careless handling, or storing them on the end of the shaft (a “no-no”). THIS column meets the factory specs and has its collapsing mechanism fully intact. Do not compromise your safety! Always check a column before buying.<O:p</O:p

I am asking $350 for this column, or $450 with the upgraded & NOS parts. Considering that it can easily cost $400--plus parts--for a ground-up rebuild of a column, this is like getting the column for free and just paying for labor. I rebuilt and kept this in anticipation of getting a 1970 Estate Wagon someday. However, that doesn't look like it will happen, so my loss is your gain.

I can be reached at

gcockerill “at” wowway.com

post-30901-143138113429_thumb.jpg

post-30901-143138113433_thumb.jpg

post-30901-143138113437_thumb.jpg

post-30901-14313811344_thumb.jpg

Edited by 70 Electra (see edit history)

• 1 month later...