1941 Super - Oil Filter?

Guest newbaufish

Guest newbaufish

Hi All -

I just purchased a '41 Super 50 and am getting used to the car and pieces/parts that it came with the 248 Straight 8. One peculiar thing, my motor doesn't have an oil filter in the usual spot opposite the intake manifold and was told by an engine builder that some models did not have the filter at all. Is this true or did someone just take it out?

Thank you in advance! Also if you have advice on old part locators to get the dual carbs back in place, please let me know.

Tim

Guest Straight eight

The oil filter used back then only filtered about 10% of the oil, and was known as a by-pass system. If modern day use only as a collector car, , just keep oil changed every 1000 miles. Also research the modern oil zinc question.

For the time being you'll need to know if the previous owner used detergent, or non detergent oil. If he used detergent oil, Shell Rotella 30 weight will give you at least some zinc protection.

If you prefer look up a zinc supplement to add to your favorite oil. ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP Additive for Classic Cars - Agricultural Equipment & More

All this is very important if you want to keep your engine without problems.